Hammer coral problem

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by rossco838, Jan 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Frag4aLivin

Frag4aLivin Plankton

looks to be brown jelly disease setting in, you can try a dip in 3% H202 with 1/20 peroxide to tank water for 15 minutes, than use a turkey baster to blow out any diseased, necrotic tissue from deep in the cavity walls to try and save it

or cut off he dying head with a dremel and try to save the remaining healthy heads

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

aiiiee doesnt look good at all.... did you move it around a lot? did you touch, even involuntarily the corals tissues or did you take extra care to move it around from the base of its skeletal structure?

4. rossco838

rossco838 Astrea Snail

Has stayed in this one place and I handled it by the base only. I will try the peroxide dip. I don't have much to lose at this point. Can jelly disease spread?

5. Frag4aLivin

Frag4aLivin Plankton

yes brown jelly can spread very fast I might add, the key is you want to see the necrotic area of tissue bubbling/oxidizing from the peroxide dip, than the crucial step is making sure ALL the infected/dying tissue is blown out of the skeleton deep in the crevices, otherwise the infection will just continue to spread, you can use a syringe, turkey baster, power head to blow it out really, really well after the peroxide dip. You'll be amazed by how much dead infected tissue blows out

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I just had a frogspawn die on me from the same disease. Perfectly healthy for a couple months, then my BSJ knocked it over into the sand bed and it was gone within a few days :( Hope you can save the rest of the heads!