Hammer Coral Losing Color

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by irr0001, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I got a hammer coral a couple of weeks ago and it had bright fluorescent green tips..now they are a pale green and barely glow under the actinics..I thought that this was because it may have not been getting enough light but I did some researching and found out that maybe it is getting too much light..is this possible? I have 2x65W pc's with a 20" tall tank and the hammer sits 2/3 the way up. Should I try moving it lower?

btw..it appears healthy..polyps extended all the time..just a little pale!

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Seriously?? Nobody?

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Lower it to the sand. They like to be on sand. Stick him in a round pvs piece if you have to. Mine is that way and doing great. They need medium light and flow. You have PC's, I have MH bulbs but I would still try that and see if he opens up more and if not then move him a little higher up if you have to. Move him when the lights are off.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't think it's a light issue with your PC's being too strong. It may be your bulbs are older than six months and need to be replaced... That's what I actually think it is...

EDIT: How old are your bulbs?

As other notes: they like low flow. You say it's extending tentacles, so I don't think it's a flow problem.

What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, pH, dKH, CA, SG, temp

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't believe this is true but they do need medium light and flow. The faded color is a result of bleaching. Since you only have pc lighting, I would suggest moving the coral closer to your lights rather than farther away from them.

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I never asked how old the bulbs are. If they are old then replace them and I would still have it on the sand in a pvs piece and see how it does

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  10. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I'm on my way home from spring break at the moment so I have to make this quick and give more details when I get home. My ligjts are brand new I have only had then for a week. Before I got them though I had only half the lighting I do now..so maybe I will give them some time with the new lights. I haven't seen my tank since wednesday so who knows..they may be looking better! I'll post again as soon as I get back

11. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

How are you feeding it..? I add alot of stuff for filter feeders, plus give mine some fresh raw shrimp pieces, etc.. If it's not bleaching..
    Corals can look one color in one tank, and different in another..
    Is it acting good now..??

Good Luck, Larry

12. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

well I just got home..pretty happy that my roommate remembered to top off my tank while i was gone! I moved the hammer to the bottom..It was as high in my tank as i could get it..so I'll try moving it down..I'm not sure I understand the PVC idea..It's about 4 inches across in a wishbone shape..so i just nestled it in the sand for now in the lowest flow area i could find..I'll give it a few days and see what happens.

Larry: I add "microvert" food every couple of days. It also catches a few pieces of mysis shrimp every now and then.