Hammer Coral is shrinking - PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by eddie2OOO, Oct 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eddie2OOO

eddie2OOO Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've inherited this aquarium so i cannot be 100% sure, but i know that the previous owner had it for about 18 months

2. Click Here!

3. jay79

jay79 Plankton

You should change them that could be your problem

4. eddie2OOO

Due to Sandy, I lost power and heat (still don't have it) I tried to maintain as much as possible, warming up a gallon (out of the 6) and adding it to the tank every few hours. Used all my flashlights to provide at least some light. It was not handling it well. So a week after loosing power i find out that it will be at least one more week before it is restored, i carry it down 6 flights to drive it to my friend. During to move, all sand has moved, frogspawn broke off the live rock. All galaxeas were buried under the sand. It was pretty much a disaster. I took out filter media it smelled so bad i had to change it. I ran the tests and of course all parameters were not good.

Ammonia - 1.0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 2.5
    Ph - 7.8

I dosed the tank and 4 days later the dust settled and the tank is getting back to normal. One of the galaxeas moved too close to frogspawn and i tried moving it but it positioned itself in live rock's cracks and i could not get to it, so i covered it with a ceramic spoon to force it to change location. We'll see if it'll work. Also i glued frogspawn back to the rock. I'll also take some pictures.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Sorry to hear about your power. That is a long time to go without. I hope things pull through for you! I just wanted to mention, it's hard to believe that that tank is only 6 gallons!!

6. oldfishkeeper

7. eddie2OOO

Thanks. Everything seems to be getting back to normal, I've checked all chemical parameters are fine, I've got a new calcium tester and that seems to be in order (420). Hammer is definitely improving. I went to my local marine store, shows pics of my tank and was told by all 4 employees that it is not galaxia on the background, it is a torch. I purchased several new corals (some zoas, xenias, mushrooms) everything is looking so much better. But i think i made a mistake... I was battling bubble algae for a while so i did a little research and found out that Emerald Crabs can take care of it for me. I purchased him and 2 hermit crabs. Who ever said emerald crabs are shy never met my guy. Ever since he got into the tank he felt like a king of the world, picking on my snails, hermits, was picking on corals when i fed them. He is fun to watch, but yesterday when i saw him tearing down my zoas and picking on hammer tentacles i couldn't take it anymore and took him out of the tank. Don't know what to do with him... I'll try to trade him for something without claws. But meanwhile he is not causing anymore damage to my tank. Here is the latest pics of the tank.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

Tank looks great! I'm glad you were able to keep everything alive and your hammer is definitely looking better!

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Yeah, some emeralds can get picky. I had one that constantly aggravated my duster until it finally popped its head and didn't survive. At least they are easy to catch, but many have had success using them vs BA.

11. eddie2OOO

I wanted to thank everyone for your input. Two months ago, I've changed the bulbs and moved the Hammer. And the results have been phenomenal. See below. So thank you all.

Attached Files:

12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Wow. Looks amazing. Congrats.