Hammer coral has a bubble

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Arcain41, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

mine did it for a few weeks and then they split.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Weird! My torch has split three times now and I've never seen anything like that.

4. pipplestock

pipplestock Plankton

Just got a more accurate measurement from my lfs refractometer and it's 1.022
    My fish guy recommends an increase in salinity to 1.024, which makes sense
    because when i'm away for a few days and I theres alot of evap. (i have a 10gal)
    the hammer coral is raging. He said to raise the salinity, just wait for a little evap
    then top off with salt water. Also my Calcium was 320 (dKH is fine) so I just added 1mL of purple-up. lfs said it could take up to a month for the hammer coral to recover
    hmmmm. we'll see what happens with the lfs recommendations. thoughts?

5. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

I've read that it matters more that the salanity is constant (in the approriate range) rather then 1.022 -1.024. basically they said pic one and stick with it.

6. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

My frogspawn did this for about a month while it was splitting. It is great now and I never changed anything. Seems to me these things can grow new heads one of two ways, by either growing a small head near the tissure border of the existing skeleton or by splitting a current head. Mine has done both, and when the existing head is splitting it will bubble and then go away when it has formed the new tissue. Best thing is to not over act and change a bunch of stuff. If the color is good and nothing else looks wrong just keep up with what you are doing.

7. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

I really wouldnt worry about it. Mine is perfect. Just sit back relax, and enjoy the amazing way nature grows. Once you know its not a disease or anything, nothing to worry about or change.

8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

In the interest of "science," I tried to get a a few pictures. We noticed a bubble in our hammer coral about a week or so ago. We've had the hammer coral for almost a year and a half and it's about the size of a softball. It has sprouted many new heads in that time, but never a bubble!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Did anyone throw any gum into the tank?;D Sorry but I just had to say that.:cheesy: