Halides vs LED

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Robman, Jan 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Metal Halides vs LED

1. Metal Halides all the way!

27.1%
  2. LED, It is the future!

54.2%
  3. Dont know the difference

2.1%
  4. I have both

16.7%
  1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Type this message on your solar powered computer did you?

1 person likes this.
  4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

NO... he did it on this!

[​IMG]

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I use these at my plant to save on electricity when loading concrete mixers. They work well.........

6. ddantz55

ddantz55 Plankton

Hey nice picture by the way but not quite. Yeah next time I have a pig roast my old MH will come handy again, he he. And this time I don't feel foolish using the chiller to prevent my tank from over heating, b/c this time the chiller will be used for the fine chardonnay. LOL!

7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

That is a ridiculous statement. If it was that hot then you did it wrong. Once again, unadmitted user error rears it's ugly head!

As for being green, MH is one of the most efficient sources of light in existence. Although it is not as efficient as LED, it is certainly not far behind. Some of you make statements as if MH has the efficiency of an incandescent light bulb. This is why the death of metal halide is greatly exaggerated. LED manufactures would love for you to believe that MH is terribly inefficient but when I read that crap, it just shows me how little they know. Most LED companies selling the fixtures do little to no R&D (unless you count monitoring what the DIY guys are doing on various reefing forums). This is why LED fixtures are not progressing as fast as I would like. You have a hand full of innovators and a bucket full of copycats and wannabes!

8. Click Here!

9. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

Like I posted, I've never had MH and I'm certainly not schooled in electricity... But from what I've noticed, people who have switch from MH to LED almost instantly notice their electricity bill going way down. So if their efficiency is similar what is causing the reduction?

Not arguing with your statement, just trying to understand things :)

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

A lot of those savings come from inefficient reflector designs causing them to use higher wattage MH than is needed for their system, thus causing them to need chillers to control heat. Poor canopy design is also a problem that inexperienced MH users. They allow a lot of heat to be trapped in the canopy. Those same people rectify this issue when switching to LED because unlike MH, those issues will ultimately destroy a LED fixture.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

yes!

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

My electricity bill rose less than $2 switching from LED to MH. I had to get a second job to support the insanely high new costs associated with my archaic lighting source, the leprotic Metal Halide. :p

The above quote comes from many uneducated people, speaking, and/or regurgitating what they have read online on someones blog/forum. If you do actual research, you will find that with a proper setup, MH's can be very close to as efficient as an LED setup, and vice versa. Not dogging on the poster, as he/she said, "just trying to understand things". Misinformation is the problem in this debate. LEDs are getting better, and will eclipse MH someday. I will switch back when that day comes.