Halide bulb burning out?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Bucsfan, Nov 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

I have a 5-6 year old Coralife light fixture that has been retrofitted with LED's and has 3 Phoenix 250 W double ended halide bulbs. This evening, one of the bulbs went out and then came back on several minutes later. I thought these bulbs never went out, only needed to be replaced after a certain number of hours. Is my understanding incorrect and I just need to now replace the bulbs?

2. Click Here!

3. SJ25

SJ25 Plankton

Switch your MH bulbs around. That will help pin point if the problem is your bulb or your ballast. If the problem follows the bulb, then its the bulb. If the problem stays with the one socket, then likely you need to replace the ballast.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

How old are the bulbs?
    Edit: If you're referring to the MH, I try to change mine out every 6-9 months.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That old tar ballast could be contributing to this issue too. If you replace it with a new electronic one such as a Lumatek, you could extend the life of the bulbs - or at least, that is, keep them performing well.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Any chance the ballast got too hot and you witnessed it go into thermal protection?

7. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

The bulbs should burn forever as far as I know(although they will eventually turn yellow color) Sounds like something other then the bulb..