Hair algea everywhere!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KOgle, Oct 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I battled this problem for about a month. When I say a "problem", we have about 150 lbs of rock that was totally covered. I did small water changes a couple times a week, starting using a phosphate reactor, and cut back on lighting by about 2 hours a day. We also upped the cleaning crew, added 10 astrea snails, 20 hermits, and 10 nassarius snails woke up one morning, and there was no sign of hair algae anywhere, not one strand. We could finally see the coralline on the rock again. Having the Kole Tang in the tank doesn' hurt either..Hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I used a phosguard reactor and Rowa phos media.

How are your nitrates? If you've got hair algae growing you've got phophates or nitrates one...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  4. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I've checked both.. they are both at 0
    also had them checked at lfs and they read 0 too

5. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

How old are your test kits and what kind? I'd say you have to have one or the other if algae is growing in your tank...

6. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

test kit isnt that old. Got it in March.. its the Hagen Master test kit and the LFS uses Tropic Marin

Might be my lights.. I am running 3 super actinics and 1 actinic white.. My GE6500K will be here wed so I can pull one of the actinics. They run from 12:30to 9:30

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The algae could be sucking up the nitrates and phosphates faster then you can test, so the results come out zero.