Hair algea everywhere!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KOgle, Oct 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Tangster are you saying a reverse light cylce is bad? I do leave my lights on 24 hours a day but they're on a reverse cycle.
    I've got slow flow in my fuge so maybe I should swap the cheato and mangroves out for calurpa?
    I'd like to keep the mangroves so I might set up a tank just for them...

I ordered a phosphate reactor from PA last night along with some of the ROWA phos to put in it. Hopefully I can get that running tonight...

By the way, thanks for your help and advice Tangster (and everyone for that matter)

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not sure how you can run your lights on a reverse cycle AND for 24 hours :D

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I think I've confused myself. :-[

Ok so there ARE lights on somewhere over my water collum 24 hours a day. Is this what Rog is saying?

So confused? What's he talking about with lights running 24 hours a day?
    Do people leave their fuge lights on for 24 hours???

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Yep...:) When I was riding on a air boat. ;) Swamp went by pretty darn fast. :p

Been talking to Jimmy this morning already.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes, some people do :)

7. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I guess that's where my confustion came from. I've never even considered doing that. :eek:
    What would be the point of that besides increased nutrient export until the **** hits the fan???

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Otty them blow boats do haul :) I have a buddy in La. that has one with a built up 508 he had to add canard like things to keep the bow pined to the water LOL Hell its even fast on dry land LOL He drives it from the yard to the Bayou LOL It ain't his fathers peyo LOL

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What I'm saying is as with most things it was thought to death .. and more was better so they aquarium gods started to run fuge lights 24/7 and that was when the grasses hit overload and went sexual to make it through.. then to combat this problem they went with a far less effective grass ..So really all they accomplished was to increase the power bill.

11. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Ok I'm with you now. You had me confused for a minute. (pretty easy to do)
    Otty brought over some calurpa Sunday when he helped me hook up the new closed loop. I took the mangroves out of the sump that weren't looking well. There are still a few in there that look good so I'm going to hang onto those until a friend of mine gets his tank going.
    Hooked up a phosphate reactor this weekend and used that media you recomended. Rowa-phos...
    Suprisingly the cheato that's in the fuge is starting to spread. I'll leave it alone as long as it's spreading and looking healthy....

Thanks for the help Tangster and Amcarrig!

12. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

keep us updated. what phosphate reactor did you use?
    I am starting to get some hair algae in my tank too but my phosphates are reading 0 :(