Hair algea everywhere!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KOgle, Oct 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I know you all have heard this song and dance before but... here goes.

The past two or so months I've been battling hair algea. I don't have a PO4 test kit but I'm sure this is the reason because there are zero nitrates in the tank. (by the way I haven't done a water change in about 5 months)
    Otty will be coming over this weekend to help me install my closed loop set up. To do this we're going to have to move some rocks around in the tank. My question is this, is it going to get rid of the problem if I scrub all of the algea off of the rocks and rinse them in salt water along with doing several large water changes? Oppinions are welcome....

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

algae spores live in rock for something like 7yrs.all you have to do is give them the right conditions to grow and have to small of a clean up crew and you'll have algae.i've pulled out large clumps of algae before to help the cleanup crew but i've never though of scrubbing as a good idea.

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I guess my thinking was though scrubbing it off or pulling it of would get rid of the current growth and the water changes should take away it's "food" so it can't regrow.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Those water changes a good idea.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would pull off as much of the long stuff as possible and let snails and hermits get the rest. I wouldn't bother scrubbing the rock because as has been mentioned, it won't help to remove what's causing the algae in the first place :D

7. 120gallons

120gallons Astrea Snail

Here's my method.
    Remove nitrate/phosphate sources (phosban reactor, water changes, better skimming, ozone, etc)
    Manually remove hair algae.
    Repeat until you get it under control.
    After 6 months of battling, I don't have an ounce of hair algae in my tank now and I added a phosban reactor, increased flow and manually kept removing it.

8. Click Here!

9. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Does anyone have a basic formula for a cleaning crew that you'd recommend? ie what number of what hermit crabs and what snails per gallon

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I've heard 2-3 per gallon of water. I have 160+ in my 55 and they keep it nice and clean:)

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

all different kinds though, cause they all like different foods. some love pizza some don't, most love green beans, most don't like anchovies...get what I mean?

12. sharkatak

sharkatak Flamingo Tongue

I have a Skopas Tang & a Coral Beauty with 3 Hermets & no snails.Haven't had any hair algae for 18 months.