Hair Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by m_lacom99, Oct 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, as I came out of new tank cycle, I had the same problem! Hair algae EVERYWHERE!!!

Since I only had one fish at the time, I did a MASSIVE (80-90%) water change. I took out every last rock and scrubbed them in a container of the old tank water. And I got a Cheveron Tang(which does the same thing as a Kole) I have since only gotten very minor growths of the hair algae, which I let grow just enough to be able to grab it when I pick it off the rock. I think the tang has helped a bit only in the sense that he is always grazing the rock and must get the stuff while it is still very small but he does not go after the larger pieces of hair algae. He does clean up the sand of diatoms if I don't feed him too much. ;D Just as stated above!

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm, i have a nano with some hair algae, any inverts that r known for eating it?

4. chris-miranda

chris-miranda Astrea Snail

* I use RO water only but i buy it from the grocery store, they have this big machine... cost about 3 bucks for 18 liters (almost 5 gallons*

you might want to check your watter supplier those machines at the stores your copper tubing very bad for inverts :)

chris

5. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

The best and only critter in my opinion is the Bali Sea Monster. They are nice since the eat old and long growth hair algae. The only problem is i cut my feeding down during this out break so my hermits ate him.

6. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

My turbo snails love the stuff

7. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

I was just thinking, the guy at the lfs told me something about using an antibiotic. don't know which one, or if it even works, or if it is good for your inhabitants.
    OR, maybe a lawn mower blennie. i would opt for the latter of the 2!

8. Click Here!

9. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I am currently trying a product called 'Algone' i will psot my results soon. After three days it actually seams to be working but i know how this stuff likes to tease you.

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Stay away from the antibiotics. It just creates antibiotic resistant strains. Cure the cause, don't treat the symptom.