Hair algae!!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Camkha1234, Jun 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I won't need anything besides the snails, though, right?

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

some urchins, ( halloween is a good one, pincushions also eat algae ) are good algae eaters if you don't have a acrylic tank they are a great add

4. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

A few more (very small) hermits would work. I wouldn't suggest urchins, they hurt, and they knock over coral and rocks!

5. Camkha1234

That what I hate about my big hermits: They knock over EVERYTHING! I also hear that urchins get quite large. I really like pincushions, but my LFS never has them.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

chance i think your thinking of the spine urchins not all hurt, nor knock rocks and corals over . i had 3 but had to remove them from my tank because i found round circular scratches on my acrylic in one spot. it took months before this happened , but i couldn't leave them in and worry they would make more marks. this was done with their teeth not their spines. they have good sized teeth to chew algae off of things, very cool watching them eat along the glass ( acrylic in my case) . other down side is they will eat your coralline algae. but to me that didn't matter since i can't see my rocks the tank is so full with corals

7. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

I've personally never owned one, but I've heard horror stories.

8. Click Here!

9. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Its funny how everybodys animals is different from person to person, you had an emerald crab that ate your chromis and peppermint shrimp, mine doesn't bother anything including my 2 peppermint shrimp, got a porcelan<? crab also he does not bother. Some say peppermint shrimp won't eat majanos or apitasia, mine cleaned them right up, but I still say the best, cheapest and most convienant means to rid the hair algae is Turbo Snails, some say the snails won't eat long hair algae, I say they will, I seen them do it.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have only had the 2 types of urchins, and read they stay on the small side. i think some can get pretty large though. on utube there is a video of someone cutting their long spine urchins spines down. i don't think i could do this. and don't know if its really a good idea. i say if your tank is not big enough for how large the animal will get ....dont buy it

11. Camkha1234

Exactly what I was thinking. So are you all sure that the Margarita and Astraea snails will eat the algae? My Astraea hasn't seemed to touch any algae at all.

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

camkha, the 2 urchins i mentioned are fine with your sized tank they don't grow that large. go on live aquaria and type in hair algae see what they recommend, or better yet ask john at reefcleaners , great place to get clean up crew. shipping is cheap also. he almost always runs a coupon for 5 dollars off.