Hair Algae that just won't go away

Discussion in 'Algae' started by glblguy, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

That's the filters in the buckets that have the special type of algae growth on them right?

2. Click Here!

3. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

That's right, flow over filter screen, light on both sides, creating turf algae. GHA is such a pain!

4. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Just to tack on to this - glblguy I'm in the same boat as you. It seems like nothing I was doing was helping. Here's something to try - I've been using it for three days now, it seems to be helping.

1)Microbacter 7 - It makes bacteria that consume phosphates/nitrates, reducing the load. Its a capful or so a day. Bonus, it helps get rid of ammonia too :) Pretty cheap - ~14.00 treats 1000 gallons of water.

2)"Fancy" Macro Algae - I've put in Halimeda (Money Algae), Shaving brush and Maidens Hair Macroalgaes. They look nice, don't grow nearly as fast a chaeto or calurepa, and suck nearly everything out of the water. My skimmer has gone from a nasty brownish green to a light yellowish green - in three days.

Just note that adding the Bacter 7 and Macro Algae are counter productive - they will both fight for the nutrients. My goal however is the stop the rampant stuff now, and slowly let the macro build up. And when it gets too big I can either re-plant in a new tank or trade it in :)

3) My Court Jester Goby (Rainfordi Goby) is eating the snot out of the stringy stuff. I can sit and watch him mow down long strands like he's eating noodles.

4) I put in some phosphate pads to remove any extra phosphates that the above doesn't pick up.

Don't know what all you've thought of trying, but two days ago I was about ready to tear everything down and start over it was so bad!

Good luck.

(PS - I added a huge clean up crew - ~30 snails ~15 hermits 2 Peppermint shrimp (28Nano). Once the algae is under control, some will be going into a 50G.

Good luck!

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Hair Algae is completely GONE!!!!! I stopped dosing about a month ago (Algaefix) and it just kept going away. I did keep up with my GFO and Carbon. But other than that, no other changes. I was at the point of tearing it down. I am glad I didn't. I really dont know what the real cure was. I think it is a combonation of all things. I also believe that the rock had alot to do with it. It was like the algae just exhausted all the nutrients from it then was gone. Kinda like the diatoms in the beginning. I'll post before and after pics if you like!!

6. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

Good Work

I've been following this thread over the last month or so. Glad to hear your hair is gone (in the tank anyway).
    I have been watching as I have a problem with hair algae myself. Not in the reef tank or the sump, but in the refugium where I grow macro algae. It used to be plumbed in line with the DT/Sumo/Fuge, but has since been isolated. Right now I am sitting with a 60 gallon refugium (used to grow Chaeto) that is infested with hair algae. I don't know where it came from, but it began where the current in the fuge was highest and on a bulkhead plug. Before long it had creepily snuck into the Chaeto, at which time I stopped selling it and began working on the problem.
    I have been starving the tank to no avail. I am about to throw the last 5 gallon bucket of Chaeto and start over in there. However I have yet to find a good replacement stock for the fuge.
    I think it beyond salvaging, as the Chaeto has essentially become entwined too much for any hope of removing it. A sea hare would have a field day, but still seems hopeless to salvage at this point.
    Anyone have this issue, or should this be a different thread.
    -Greg
    AKA Eddie

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

This thread is from 2009.;) I think Steve Wrights advice is sound. Change your GFO once a week manually remove as much as possible until the problem is gone.