Hair Algae that just won't go away

Discussion in 'Algae' started by glblguy, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Blue and red hermits, lawnmower blenny, Mexican Turbo Snails, narsissus (sp?) snails, 2 sea cucumbers.

For some crazy reason though I have the worst luck with snails...If I buy 20, a few months later I'll have about 10. Weirdest thing...unless of course they are food for my Flame Hawkfish...although I've never seen him eat one.

Update: Status quo, algae is still growing but seems to be slower. Changed out the phosban in my reactor. Bumped up Mg, dKH is at 12, and ph is 8.3. I'll keep you posted.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Just another update: Algae is still growing...no signs of dieing. I continue to remove it the best I can everyday, but it's impossible to remove it all. I just posted a thread about doing water changes...maybe that's the next thing I'll try. If that doesn't work, I'm going the chemical route...not sure what else to do!

4. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

The natural process of removing this pest will take a long time, so don't get discouraged if you're not seeing results in the first few weeks. Hang in there! The chemical route can be risky. Some people have had great results with it while others haven't. I've had good results with Marine AlgaeFix.

5. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Another update. I did a 10 gallon water change today and changed the Phosban out, so we'll see how it goes.

I also purchased a Salifert Phosphate test kit, as I was a little leery of my other one. Turns out, the Phosphate level in my well water is 0. So looks like I don't have phosphates coming from the tap after all.

With that being said, it must be a Nitrate problem, even though my test shows 0....again Algae is consuming it.

So, I'm going to buffer up the clean up crew today, along with starting some frequent water changes.

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Keep updating. I am following along.

7. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Will do Robman. Maybe I'll take some pics tomorrow and show you all what I'm fighting with!

8. Click Here!

9. photo-guy

photo-guy Flamingo Tongue

I know it's not good to say "ditto", but this one statement of Steve's is so very important that I want to draw more attention to it.

Having a low phosphate or nitrate reading doesn't mean squat whenever there's algae growing.

Heck, that's the whole principle of a refugium! Algae LOVES phosphates and nitrates. Algae quickly eats phosphates and nitrates all the way down to near zero.

Back in the 1980's I did a slide presentation at our local aquarium club. I actually dragged out my good old chemistry books and did an experiment where I measured and calculated the mass of phosophates and nitrates consumed in a handful of algae. It's been too long ago to remember. But it was surprising. The quick answer is "lots"!

Bottom line is, if you have lots of algae growing in your aquarium, then don't be surprised if your phosphate and nitrate readings are near zero. If you have lots of algae growing in your aquarium, and your phosophate and nitrate readings are much above zero, then there's some fairly serious issues, indeed.

Personally, my three choices would be: i) grow 'good algae' to compete with the bad algae, ii) reduce phosophates and nitrates, or iii) investigate the quality of your live rock.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  10. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Thanks, but not sure what your last statement means. How do I do that?

11. photo-guy

photo-guy Flamingo Tongue

I'm actually not sure how to tell someone how to judge live rock. I've seen incredible live rock from when I got started in this hobby in the 1980's. So, personally, that's kind of a standard that I judge by. I generally look for the amount of diverse life in the rock.

I guess my sarcastic answer (I like sarcasm) is that live rock should have lots of life. hehehe.

You ask a great question and I'm not sure that my answer does it justice. Although I'm confident that better live rock will give better results, I realize that my method to evaluate it is probably inadequate because it's highly subjective. But that's all I have to offer. I'll post again if I think of something else later.

12. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

I have been reading about algae turf scrubbers lately.The people using them are saying they do a great job of cleaning up gha.