hair algae prob

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tresguey, Jan 20, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i have been battleing a hair algae prob for a few months. i have about 30 hermits 30 snails 3 queen conchs, and a lawnmower bleeny. i do a 5 gallon water change weekly useing catalina water from a lfs. have a kalk drip to topoff useing ro/di water. and add B-ionic 2 part only when needed. my chemistry is all normal. i have been tearing the stuff away and trying to kinda scrub it as well. but it always comes back. any help will be great. :'(

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Im in the same bout as you. I just ripped out 90 pounds of rock and scrubbed it all down to nothing with a wire brush. Man what a job. I have been using Chemi-Pure carbon and Poly pads to help remove any metals or excess nutriants. I have also removed my 250 watt halides and replaced them with 4 110 watt VHO lights for the time being. When the tank matures and the purple coraline covers everything and I am hair algea free then I will go back to my halides. But things are looking much better now. I have 2 remora aquaC skimmers on this tank as well and they are both rockin strong. I will win this battle. I cannot have a refugium in the house I am renting or else I would have had one months ago. Thats the way to go. That way the macro algea in the fuge will suck out any remaining food that feeds the algea. Basically starve the algea. Mabey after I buy my house. I am looking to buy right now and I am looking for something with room for a 500 gallon reef. That will be crazy huh!

Good luck with the algea war.
    Jay

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah a fuge can help once it kicks in.
    I used phosban EDIT: phosguard years ago and that seemed to do the trick.
    Check your top off water and your lights for any issues, may be something there...

5. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i use phosban and chemi-pure. i have checked the top off water and it checks good. i have been putting off a fuge. but from what i hear that is the way to go. does the hair algae have any adverse effects, or is it just ugly.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well it can cover stuff.. but mostly it's just a pain in the butt. You'll ride it out eventually.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya i wish my nano cube could be like my 55 gal reef, nice and purple and hair algae free!...