Hair algae poll

Discussion in 'Algae' started by reefman_MC, Jun 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I pulled out the long stuff by hand and to my surprise my scarlet hermits took care of the short stuff... My tank is now hair algae free for 2 months and counting.

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=amcarrig link=board=General;num=1087005658;start=15#19 date=12/09/04 at 06:13:54]
    I just picked up one of those myself.  I'll send you pics soon  :)[/quote]

Please do :)

John

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

mexican turbos all the way!!!!!....i still hate them cuz they knock my acros over....

5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I've been fortunate to be able to control and remove hair algae with good housekeeping, primarily water changes, increased lime water dosing, and vacuuming whatever is loose enough to pull off with the siphon hose when doing the water changes.
    I did however, when I first started in 94, had hair algae and with no computer and no information, I removed all the rock and scrubbed it all down, only to find when I replaced it in the tank, I hadn't got it all.
    That's when I gave up on scrubbing (too much work) and decided to keep changing water until the algae stopped growing.
    On a tip from someone, (I don't remember now who it was) I started using vinegar in my kalk mixing bucket to increase the amount of calcium in the tank, thereby feeding the coralline and help it to "move out" the hair.
    I understand that the lime water also has properties that enable the skimmer to removed more phosphates and other products faster than normal. (please don't ask me to explain the chemical processes, I can't even remember latin names for anything I have in all my systems)
    In about 2 months, (best my memory can come up with) the hair algae disappeared.
    Any hair algae outbreaks I've had in the ten years since, I've treated only this way.
    By the way, I DON'T have snail or hermits in my tanks, but I do have some serpent stars in three of them.
    When I first started this hobby, I noticed how many snails and hermits were dying in LFS tanks, and heard comments from other customers while in the stores that was enough to keep me from spending anything on them.
    I have a tang in each of all but one of my systems, but none of them ever touched hair algae that I know of.

6. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i like hermits cuz they do an allright job and they are fun to watch

7. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Sorry I can't use your poll...I don't have hair algae in my BB starboard tank.. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

I had a problem with hair algae about a year back. I put three mexican turbos is and within three days my tank looked like I just started it.