Hair algae in overflow

Discussion in 'Algae' started by luvreefs23, Jun 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Hey guys, i have a 90 gallon aga tank that has the black overflow and at the top of the overflows vents im getting a decent size build up of hair algae. I run a phosban reactor and i have no algae anywhere else in the tank, just the overflow box is getting full of algae. I plan on cutting out what i can tomorrow but wondering if throwing some snail in the overflow would help with algae and such?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Depending on what kind of over flow you have snail might not be good Idea, could possibly plug it up. Is there any way of blocking the light from from the overflow, I had same problem and bought a piece of black Plexi and made a cover and put it over the top to block the light and it went away.

If you cut it or clean it little pieces might get into the tank and then your going to have it growing everywhere. so your going to have to be careful. Is it HOB overflow? if it is then take it off and clean it in the sink and rinse well before returning I know its a PITA but it will keep it out of your tank....

4. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

If it remains localized to your overflow, and is not extremely noticeable while viewing the tank from the front, leave it IMO (or as much as possible). That hair algae is consuming loads of nitrates and phosphates even before it enters your sump. Any strands that happen to go loose will get caught in through the filtration in the sump. I personally don't see hair algae as being a terrible thing, and is actually a great thing if you can have it localized in specific areas out of the view of people looking at the tank.

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

thanks.the only place in my tank that has algae is my over flow.i'll just cover it from light.

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

snails would eat it, but I am with them, out of sight, then who cares?

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have the same tank with the same hair algae in the same place. Is your overflow getting any sunlight? Luna

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

IMO hair algae can be a plus in your circumstance. If it's out of sight, and doesn't impede flow to the sump, why not leave it? You claim it's the only hair algae in the system. There's probably a reason for that. Perhaps it's playing a similar role as does macroalgae in a refugium--competing for the very same nutrients that other colonies of algae would consume elsewhere in the tank.

It's no coincidence that this particular patch of algae is growing where it is. That's probably the spot that receives the highest flow of water per unit of surface area in the entire system. Much like a phosban reactor that by design forces water through every square inch of media, this overflow likewise is funneling water through the cutouts.

I don't remember the source, but I recall reading that every tank will have algae somewhere. The document further stated it would be ideal to intentionally grow a patch of algae and to keep it localized to one spot, for the reason above.

As another poster stated, this single patch of algae is consuming nitrates; and whatever other nutrients algae consumes.

Again, if it's out of sight, not an eyesore, and doesn't seem to be spreading, why not let it be?

1 person likes this.
  10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm with Reef Sparky. As long as the algae is only in your overflow, it's actually working to your advantage, kinda like an algae scrubber.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yup, I let mine go and make sure there is not a clogging problem. That's about it.

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

What did you do to cover it? I am having a horrible time with the hair algea in my overflow. I have a dual megaflow and am trying to figure out what to do to block the light.

In my last tank it got to the point that it would actually block a good portion of water from entering overflow. So I would have to go in and manually remove it and luckily I never had an outbreak in display, but really dont want the hassle this time!