Hair algae gone wild

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chum, Apr 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

I took all my rocks out and scrubed them with a tooth brush under the fauset, and any lilte peices my crabs and algae blenny took care of.

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

You took them out and cleaned them under faucet water? Fresh water?
    If that is what your saying then you have killed any beneficial bacteria on/ in the rock.

4. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

heading out today to get some more cuc. should i get a tuxedo urchin or a abalone to help with my mess ?

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Bob, no offense buddy, but that kills off all your bacteria on the rock. I hope chum doesn't do this. It sounds like he is trying to take the slow and careful method to his problem. Please everyone keep in mind, he is not having any problems with corals, or fish, so this is not an emergency issue. Chemicals and complete nuking of his rock are just going to stress his tank and potentially kill unwanted livestock. It took chum a while to get to this state, and it's going to take some time to get back. It sounds like he's already taken the right steps to do so, and now he just has to be patient.

1 person likes this.
  6. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

just drove an hour this morning to get a urchin and some scarlet crabs. my wife thinks i am crazy ! will post pics later.

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Does anyone you know have a seahare you could borrow or rent. Seriously, that thing would be in heaven in your tank.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 110%... I couldn't have said it better, myself.

Most people I hear that took that route were posting in ASAP about high ammonia levels and dead livestock. Patience is a virtue; nothing good happens fast in SW aquaria.

1 person likes this.
  10. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

+1. That's what is was thinking early this morning.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Lots of good advice on here except for the scrubbing and fresh water rinse for the reasons others have stated. My only concern is, what is up that snails are not surviving? With that much algae, that doesn't make sense. I would be curious as to the op's salinity and temperature. Long-term once the algae is more under control, the quick snail demise will create an on-going problem with algae I would think.

12. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

salinity is 1.025 and temp runs 75. i has bought 3 very large turbo snails from a lfs. not sure how long they had them. two of the have died. the largest is alive but has been sitting in the same spot for days. does not appear to be eating,just sitting there.