Hair Algae eating fish? Invertebrate?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by subzero3z, Apr 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Instead of adding anything that increases your bioload maybe look into other ways of exporting nutrients. More frequent water changes, purigen, ect. Also, what's your nitrate and phosphate levels at? How long are you running your lights? All contribute to algae problems. Plus, reading that your tank has hit 1.021 on another thread leads me to believe there could be inconsistencies within your tank. I would get your tank params checked.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

The only invert that I have had continues success with are Sea Hares they are the bomb dot com. If you are going to go this rough I recommend running some form of GFO at the same time and also you will need to rehome him after he has eaten all of your algae.

The main problem here is that your elevated Phosphates are feeding the GHA. You have to get your levels under control to win this battle.

Good Luck keep us all updated.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

to manually remove it when you do your water change take a bucket of the old water, place the affected rock into it, and scrub it with a tooth brush. It seems aggressive but it helps me a lot. Now some rocks I cant get out because there to big or essential base rocks ot the rock structure but if you start getting rid of the nutrients it helps to keep it from coming back as fast.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

6. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

That 1.021 thing is old I have got it up to 1.026.

7. subzero3z

subzero3z Astrea Snail

I was scrubbing it in the tank then collecting the algae with a net. Effective for the most part.

8. Click Here!

9. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

I agree with the posts not to add to your bioload right now, but to try and figure out what is causing the nitrates/phosphates that are feeding the algae growth.

So I'm mainly just chiming in here to say that when I read your thread title I thought you were saying that your hair algae was eating your fish. I was like "WHAT?!?! SERIOUSLY?!!" haha. :yelrotflmao:Must be too early for my brain to be functioning properly today :tongue:

Vinnyboombatz and Corailline like this.