Hagen Master Test Kit

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Chris Jones, May 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Here is one SIG for ya. if you want I can do another differently.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Ben Dover link=board=Water;num=1085172792;start=15#19 date=05/23/04 at 17:39:36]my first sub was the oldest diesel sub in the navy at the time 1981. USS Gudgeon SS-567, the next 12 years found me on 637 class fast attacks, 640 class boomers(ballistic missile subs) to the last one i was on was the Ohio class boomer USS Georgia. finally i ended my stint with the Navy as an instructor of sound physics, and advanced target motion analysis, to stick a torpedo up the bad guy's butt. LOL[/quote]

Wow... beats my film degree.. ;D Very cool Christopher.

4. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

Nice Dave, but you can shorten my name to Chris Jones. I never was a big fan of "Jonesy".

P.S. Can you work a gif of a sub in there??

I appreciate your talent.

thanks, chris

5. wds21921

wds21921 Plankton

Not to burst any bubbles here but you may want to find another test kit other than Hagen. A recent example showed me that Hagens Ca test kit read much higher than is actually in most tanks. Thsi also varies from test kit to test kit but more so with Hagens.
    A friend and I recently decided to test our water using his Hagen and my Aquarium Pharms. Both readings were from the same tank. His read 560 ppm (Hagen) and mine read right at 500.
    He purchased a newer test kit and got a reading of 520 versus again my result of 500. To see if it was my test kit I purchased a new one as well. Again mine read 500. Using my sisters test kit (Salifert) he got a reading of 500.
    Whether it could be attributed to the age of the initial test kit is arguable. The newest test kit of the same brand still gave a much higher reading than either the salifert or the Aquarium pharms. All the other tests using the Hagen Master kit were identical to the Aquarium pharms master test kit. The only test we didn't compare was the Alk because I needed a refill at the time. One of the tests not included in the Aquarium Pharms master test kit :(.
    Not quite scientific perhaps but somewhat conclusive in repitition.

6. pocketbulletz

pocketbulletz Plankton

Hello, I just purchased a Hagen Master Test kit, paid 65$ from LFS and while I cant compare the testing accuracy, the actual set up is pretty nce for conveinance and ease of use, with the viles and test chems resting in nice orderly places for testing. and the 8 test kits each have 75uses so that is nice, except CA and KH because you need to count drops for those.

I did read that the CA test might possibly read higher than other test kits, my tetra test read 300ppm (although it was quite an old kit), and same water tested 380ppm with my new hagen kit.

7. wds21921

wds21921 Plankton

I'm not saying Hagen is bad I'm just saying that as far as the Ca test results people should be aware they're probably not as accurate as most people would prefer. An average difference of about +60-80 ppm seems to be the relative norm so I would range the results in that area instead of using only a single number.