Had To Nuke It!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Boredm, Aug 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what did you do with all your fish?

Good luck the second time around....I hate to tell you this but there was an easier way to do this probably...kill the lights for about 4 days and decrease food and your cyano would have been gone. I just got over a horrible cyano and dingoflagellates outbreak and I turned off all lights and had already reduced the amount of feedings and now the outbreak is gone.

What are you going to seed your rock with since it has been boiled? I do like all the nooks you have in the rock. I have heard some people throwing in a piece of shrimp in there and letting it decay but it stinks, other uses bacterboost. If you can go to your LFS and get a couple pieces of LR and put it in there that will help greatly.

Also make sure you dont use tap water...only RO/DI

Again good luck

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

oops, I did not even have any Heineken...I see where the fish are now...derrhhh!;D

4. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Good luck.

By the way, love the twin island look of your scaping. I went the same way when I re-did my tank a while back.

[​IMG]

Cheers :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Yeah, I don't see the reason for why you broke it all down and boiled off the rock.
    Cyano is easy to control with using good water (no nitrates, no phosphates) and proper water flow and circulation. I think you may have over-reacted.

6. Lucky13dt

Lucky13dt Spaghetti Worm

Good luck on the second time around.

7. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I think you may have overeacted a little too but I understand the frustration when you look at the tank all day and just get sick of the mess. You want to just nuke it all and go for a clean slate the only thing I have found that sometimes the long term permanent solution does take a while to work it self out for example I had my whole tank die I lost everything ( the breaker tripped while I was out of town ) any way I went crazy cleaning up the tank and I had a huge algae bloom of brown, green junk and the tank looked like crap so I loaded up the now empty tank with a huge cleaner crew 30 top crown snails an urchin and 30 red leg hermits and slowly but surely the tank is looking really good they are working from the top down and everywhere they go they are leaving nothing but beautiful coraline and coral frags so maybe time will help but it is hard to have that kind of patience .

8. Click Here!

9. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

well patients was the big problem when I first started. I didn't nuke everything because of the algae bloom alone. The tank was rushed from the beginning. I really wanted to paint the back and get rid of all of the nasty crap all over my rock and sand bed. Also, the sand bed was totally not what I wanted. Like I said before... just didn't think it all the way through. My fault totally, but this was the better way to fix it... for me anyways. And Mel, I'v got a cup of sand from the old tank to seed the rock.

I just wanted to start from scratch guys, it's something that I will be happy with in the long-run. Thanks for the support. I'll keep the pictures and updates coming.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Where in the world did you ever come up with cooking the rocks in a pot of boiling water ? I don't think you understand the term some Dumb A$$ came up for curing rocks the hard long and time wasted way ? They do not mean to literally put the rocks in a pot and boiling them like a potato :)

11. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

I didn't see it as a bad idea. I was looking to kill most of the nasty stuff on the rock... when "boiling" looked like it would take forever then I decided to bleach the hell out of them. Can't get it right every time I suppose.

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

So how did it smell? That is what I am curious about.