H2Overflow

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mlott132, Sep 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

I decided to give this product a try. After looking at all the other options, I am not ready to risk taking apart my bulkheads.

I received the overflow yesterday, and I have to say I am impressed. I thought I was only going to get the elbow and overflow box. Instead I received those and a bulkhead, short piece of pipe, another elbow, hose fitting! Here are the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to get this setup and see how well it works.

2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

That is nice that they give you the complete plumbing to put together. It's always good to have some backups.

I will be interested in seeing it mounted! Get busy man! hahaha j/k

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Keep us posted on that overflow mlott. It scares me a bit too. It just doesn't look like it will handle much flow. But it's rated for up to 1200 GPH? :shocked: That is surprising to read. The strainer is shallow, I would think you would have to throttle it back because of that. I am really curious about it now. Following. :)

matt

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I kinda view the strainer as the same style of the cone ones, but with a tad bit more surface area of straining power. My fear is, if this get's light then algae will build up in the fins and slow the flow down. However, I'm following as well!

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My DIY C2C is: SILENT, and 100% Surface skimming the 72" length of my tank.

I fitting with a strainer? While it will 'work', it's a poor substitute for a properly designed and built overflow.

7. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

OK guys I need your opinion on this. I tried to setup the overflow this morning and ran into a little trouble. Using the elbow fitting the top of the overflow is even with the bottom of the frame of the tank. Just a little to high for my liking. However, the kit also came with a 90 fitting that is not as tall. Do you think I will get the same amount of flow through the 90 as I would the elbow. Here are pictures of the two setups.

Elbow Fitting
    [​IMG]

90 Fitting
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK, looks good. It doesn't have to be that deep- cause you're not using a U-tube/weir.
    Remember to maysure in a power out that you sump has the reserve volume to take up the additional volume.

Fluid dynamically- the larger radius bend will flow better, but it might not matter.

Can we see where/how you're plumbing it up to your bulkhead?
    So we could see the heights involved, etc.

You do know that with a little creativity/ plumbing/ fittings/ short pieces of pipe, etc., you could get it just about anywhere.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Plumb that puppy up and take some pics.

I kinda like it. Don't get me wrong, I like my C2C, but this is a nice alternative.

What do they get for that specialized piece of plastic?
    Is it also used for another app, like ponds or some kind of straining/skimming tank?
    When it's used as the Aquarium app, Boom, price just went up! ;)

HOok it up and take some pics- Nice product find btw.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK, I looked at the website- $70 for the way you ordered it.

It's actually a nice/imformative website.
    In fact, from the way you described it- that's how the say to mount it, way up high and behind the trim coping.

Let us know, we need pics of your tank, etc.

This thing could work how it's described- and change the world as we know it-
    Or maybe just be a great alternative to tanks drilled high in the back.
    ( I still like my 72" of only surface skimming)
    But, this looks like a very promising product.
    This coming from a guy who looks at all kinds of products and brainstorms how they can be adapted somehow for my reef tank.

PS, I hope those screws in the top are nylon- that's all they need to be anyways.

Todd

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

AND,

Although it's 1.5", it could easily be adpated/sleeved down for a smaller diameter bulkhead.

Hey- I should be working for these people!

I'd like to think I know a good product when I see it,
    let's see it work already!

: H2Overflow