H2Overflow

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mlott132, Sep 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Anyone heard of this?

http://www.customaquariums.com/c-2-h2overflow.aspx

I don't have a reef ready tank and was hoping this would give me better surface skimming. Had the tank drilled for two elbows that have strainers on them. However, I had to cut it down to only one because of flow issues. My other option is a CPR retrofit overflow box. Just concerned about taking my bulkheads apart.

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Looks like a poor mans coast to coast! LOL. I think that i would use two of them in a 75 if you were to do it. What is your reason for wanting to switch if you already have bulkheads in place? I assume the tank is currently running. Looks like an interesting product and I would be interested to hear from someone who has used them to hear their thoughts. If I was building a tank from scratch and was going to drill the top like that, i would take a little extra time and do a coast to coast with a bean animal type system. Thats what I am currently planning on my build. I think the only advantage to this product is to reduce the amount of real-estate taken up in your tank and if it was a decision between that product and a standard bottom drilled set up it may be worth looking at.

4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

The top is screwed on. That's where I stopped reading; IMO, if it's not easily maintained, it will eventually get skipped.

I don't know how your bulkheads are laid out, but this is what I would go with, if I were to choose. Very low profile, well built and quiet! I saw a 1500 on a 75 and it was dead quiet. If your bulkheads are mounted together, then this option may not work. If your bulkheads are far enough away, you could get 2 of the 700 kits. I'm actually choosing an undrilled tank for my next build so I can use these overflows as I don't want to give up a complete corner for my drain.

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

That overflow is a scary piece of equipment imo.It WILL clog.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Roccus and zesty like this.
  6. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Got some bad advise from the LFS I purchased my setup from. The way they had me setup my overflow is noisy as hell. Just a strainer in a elbow stuck into the bulkhead. I also don't think I am getting as good of surface skimming as I should. Was hoping that this product would help increase the surface skimming area and help to quiet the gurgling noise. If I were to do it all over again, I would have purchased a reef ready tank.

7. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

I did look into these as well. My bulkheads are about 20 inches apart. Same issue as if I were to go with the CPR box, and that is trying to remove bulkheads that have been in place for a couple years. Just don't know how easy they are to take apart. Do you know what size return pump the 75 gallon tank you saw had?

8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Is your pipe glued into your bulkhead? The bulkhead should be somewhat easy to remove, unless you pvc glued into a bulkhead and didn't leave any way to remove it. That was not a fun day... surprises around every corner.

If you can get your bulkheads out easy, I would go with the GH, but if they were hard glued in, I might be looking more at the CPR box...

I think my buddy had a mag 18 on there.

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

how would this be any different (clogging ) than a overflow box silicone to the back wall?

11. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Gurguling is the result of trying to flow too much water through a pipe. Normally, the water flows down the sidewall of the pipe with a column of air in the middle. When you flow too much water, the air column gets interrupted momentarily and you get a gurgle. The option is to reduce the flow, add another or a larger pipe of make a bean animal type system. at least that is my understanding so far.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Your overflow wall should be lower then your tank height.If it clogs it will still overflow into the overflow.:confused:

: H2Overflow