Guys I Want Blue :D

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by macabe, Aug 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Macabe

when I 1st got T5s after using T10s for a number of years, I was also unsure on wattages to purchase for lenght of fitting

this may seem daft, but when I wanted a new lamp some of the printing had worn of the old lamp , so I could not tell what it was

I took the old lamp with me to the LFS and compared it with other lamps for sale to make sure I purchased correct size

I only had to do this once thereafter I remembered the wattage purchased
    for future

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. macabe

macabe Purple Spiny Lobster

its called SHKERRY AQUA i googled it an it took me to there store and they have the same lighting set up for sale that i got now what do i do? and what if i look at the wats on my bulbs i got in there now? then buy the same amutn of wats for the aquascience blue t5 bulb?

4. steve wright

excellent Macabe

if there is an option to contact them on the site you found
    ask them if they have replacement lamps at 14k for the MHs - it will give you a little more blue

or ask them if they have any 22k actnic plus lamps for the T5s as again this will give you a deeper blue to your tank

or you could still check your LFS and make changes using products they have of the above type

Steve

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

lol, i think you win the award for worst typer

6. steve wright

Im doing my best Oceanparadise1 - but I am supposed to be working now, so I am rushing LOL

Steve :cheesy:

1 person likes this.
  7. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I use the pheonix 14k mh bulbs and they put off a nice light blue look.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. macabe

im not looking for new mhs i can get thos at store. do u guys think that i can get a blue look if i poot in t5 with the actenic spectrum and then i can take out my moon like strips and replace thos with regular actenics woad this be to much light>? i think if i added that i waod get BLUE :D on the shkerry site it ses the t5s i have in there are 10k with white tubes. steve all i need is new bulbs :eek: not new lamps i just wanna change my bulbs to get more blue i think im just gonna get aquascience 22k t5s and 2 regular actenics :D and then i replace my mhs still dont now how many wats to use on the aquascience tho -_-

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  10. steve wright

macabe

are the existing T5s not blue then?
    you might struggle to compete for colour with the MHs at 10K IMO
    They will overpower the T5s

if your existing T5s are not blue, (But I imagine they are ) then yes adding Actinic plus lamps in place of those T5s may give slightly more blue, but those 10k halides are going to dominate the overall colour IMO

Moonlight strips - removing them and adding additional Actinic T5s - Im not 100% sure
    to be honest

I do believe that the overall colour temp of your tank will be governed by those halides
    and increasing the colour temp K on those lamps will be the most effective way of increasing the blue look of your tank

Steve

11. macabe

i dont use lamps its built in to one hood i have ot rip the whole hood apart to change the lamps i think if i had aquascience blue t5s and 2 high out poot actenics that i woad be able to have blue now i dont just use one slot for each id have 2 of each so 2 actenics and 2 aquascience blue t5s taht woad definetly add some blue to it woadnt u think?

12. steve wright

Hi Macabe - sure I understand - but the bulbs/ lamps can be changed
    you just remove the cover and take out bulb and put new one in ( otherwise when lamp or bulb fails you would need to buy new hood, do you see what I mean?)

You might be right, Im just not sure the LED slots could accomodate the T5 tubes

this is where I need help to help you
    becuase T5 LED strips have their own ballast - thus run off mains electric
    but T5 lamps have independant ballasts that are in your hood

so I dont think or I am not sure, if the T5s will actually fire up/ light in the slots that are used for LEDS now?

Steve