Guppy Pregancy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Kovu, Nov 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I keep an african clawed frog. sometimes i put guppys in with it.

the guppys usually have baby guppys.

the frog eats the baby guppys.

then it eats the big guppys.

I like them as feeder fish :)

4 guppys will usually last me about 3 months before I have 0 guppys

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

I never separated my guppies... just made sure there were some surface plants for the babies to hide it. They usually had them at night and by morning the babies had figured out they were safest in the plants. Maybe a couple guppies lost but overall I had 15-20 survive each fry without separating... :)

4. Kovu

Kovu Fire Worm

My problem is that the tank is only a couple weeks old and wasnt expecting this, the tank has very little plants since im trying to make it a planted tank.

5. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

well you can eiehter get a small breeder net, or get some fake plastic plants. I always found it more enjoyable to watch the babies exploring the tank :)

6. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I've done both teh V shaped breeder box and the dense floating plants. I used to have a 55 Gal with nothing but guppies in it and while he breeder box gave me a high survival rate the multiplication rate of guppies meant I have like 100 guppies in no time from the few pairs that I started with.

Ultimately Rogers way won out, dense vegetation gave a great survival rate, was less burdensome to try to deal with and seemed more natural.

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I had guppies they never ate the babies. It was horrible, after about 2-3 generations I had 100+ fish.

So yea I don't keep them anymore.

8. Click Here!

9. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Mine always looked like they were about to pop before they dropped. Never had to worry about the babies not surviving, too many always did! Started out with 2 females and a male in a 55 gallon and put them in a breeder box. It wasn't long that we gave up on the breeder box & they hid in the floating plant I stuck in there...ended up with who knows how many! You'd get up in the morning & find 30-something babies (I think I counted 32 once) LOL.

10. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

Yep. I had two females pregnant that both gave birth in the same weekend. Ended up with over 50 babies surviving. Whew.