guppies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by fishyfinder, Aug 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

My guppy tank has suffered greatly this past few weeks. First my prize male died of a sudden and now every female has died all but one.:(
    My last female swims very little and eats very little. Her fins were clear but now cloudy with little white groups of something maybe a parasite but not ick.:confused:

i hope someone could tell me what this is. maybe columaris??

2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I had that happen to my guppy tank and don't know what happened either. I treated for ick and other parasites. I increased my oxygen and turned off lights for 5 days. I removed the carbon from the tank and after a long uphill battle My tank is finally comeing back around. It took months for me to get control again. I also have a 150 gal tank that they are in. I think if it were smaller it wouldn't have taken so long! I am sorry for your loss and hope it doesn't take as long for you as it did for me.

4. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

alrighty thanks. the two males left in the tank are fine and the two corries

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Columnaris came to mind when I read this. I had a Black Molly with this disease. Do some research on Chondrococcus Columnaris and the common name cotton mouth. If the white growth looks like cotton, you have your culprit. I treated this disease successfully with malachite green, which you can find at a petco or LFS if you don't already have it. However, if you use this medicine, use it in a quarantine tank. Before I really understood the Nitrogen cycle, I dosed it constantly to treat things that didn't need treating and it kills your beneficial bacteria, so if you use it, be aware that it will recycle your tank. Also, remember not to run carbon with medicines. Good luck.

LCP

6. redrumdoll

redrumdoll Plankton

I was having a similiar problem with an old mollie tank I had long ago. I've since aquired Maracide, and that seems to help anything from my bettas to my oscars if anything seems wrong (and the water levels are fine). I hate using chemicals, and would prefer no medicines, but it seems to be a good one to have on hand. I also use it when I get new fish to kill any parasites before introducing them to my established tanks.