Gun owners?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by lightningfront, Jun 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

classic.

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I like Bogie's answer, but ReefSparky's takes the cake. Great one.

And don't underestimate the powers in a Pellet Rifle :D My mom's seen what I can do with mine, and I know I could at least drop or disable a threat with it. She's even given me permission to use it if there's ever a "drastic situation" in the house or neighborhood.

Here's another question (thanks for the good answers by the way). Where do you carry? Obviously it would be rather difficult to carry a larger handgun while wearing shorts and a t shirt, right?

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Everywhere it is legal. I carry 24/7 pretty much. There a few places you are not allowed to, mostly government buildings like the post office, DMV, etc, and also schools.
    And with a decent holster, no, it's not hard to conceal. I carry a full sized 1911 under nothing more than a t-shirt.

6. ReefSparky

If I understand your question, you're asking where on the body, right? There are a number of places. In Florida, where one typically wears little more than a t-shirt and pants, you have 3 choices. One is no longer fashionable--the fanny pack. There's one made specifically for CCW. It has a zippered side and a small tab that you pull on when necessary, and it opens to conceal a holster. I did that for years, but the fanny pack just looks silly now.

The second choice is the ankle holster. That's where I usually carry. Third, is a pancake holster. This somewhat unique contraption is fashioned to attach to your belt, while at the same time the holster rides inside your pants, either in the small of the back, or on the side.

On the sillier side of things, there was a product called "Thunderwear" years ago. No joke. It was sort of a hybrid between an athletic supporter/cup/jock strap and holster. It even had provisions to keep your valuables (the steel one) vapor free. :) I didn't try that method, as I couldn't imagine for a second sitting down.

In more reasonable (chillier) climes, a simple shirt concealing an outside the belt holster works, but that's for those who wear a shirt outside the pants. I'm 40, and it's not my style, although I realize it's all the fashion to do so nowadays.

The funny (bad adjective here) thing that takes some getting used to here is when you've qualified for and have received your permit to carry concealed, the ONLY qualification is that the firearm remain concealed. Any scenario you can imagine is perfectly legal--so long as the firearm remains out of sight of all people.

I have to say, too--I appreciate how the contributors to this thread have kept the language, demeanor, and conversation professional and low-key. There are so many out there who want to take these rights away from us; and it's silly talk, bragging, bravado, and the belligerant mentality that gives the anti-gun proponents fodder to feed their agenda. At the risk of sounding political, which I'm sincerely not trying to do here, I have to say that I'm proud that I've seen none of this talk or posturing here.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

ahhh, after reading Sparkys response, I think I may have mis-understood Jwins question ;)
    I carry on the hip using an IWB holster.

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Yeah Pack, you definitely misunderstood :D But that's ok. What about those parks that say "no firearms allowed"? I'm not sure if there's a loophole in that or not...

I'm going to hop onto the misunderstanding bandwagon and say that I misunderstood Sparky's clarification of an ankle holster. You said in FL where shorts and a t-shirt is the norm, you normally carry on an ankle holster? Wouldn't carrying a firearm on your ankle, while wearing shorts, completely defeat the purpose of keeping it concealed? :D

And yes, this thread has been great. We should show it to some of the people petitioning or campaigning to get rid of the CCW option to firearm owners.

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

...well this is interesting. Look what I found while reading up online.

Good old Tennessee. "Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Name the movie and you get mega karma from me :D NO google allowed.

11. ReefSparky

Yes, it would! I said pants, not shorts. :)

Clearly, an ankle holster worn with shorts would be senseless. Not to mention, quite unfashionable. :)

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

You underestimate the powers of fashion :D I'm sure some plaid, maybe pink, would make society today fall in love with it. Or else, paint a giant target on the back of your shirt. Either one is plausible.