Gun owners?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by lightningfront, Jun 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Because I love my wife very much. If she's not with me, my second answer is I love life very much.

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Can't beat that answer

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I agree. I will be applying for my CCW soon and procuring a firearm. Before I even consider carrying, I am going to become uber-comfortable with that which I am concealing. It's all about safety. My wife. My children. Currently, the only thing I have in the house even is a pellet gun. Not going to do much. They might need some ibuprofen by the time I am done with them.......

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thats about the best answer you can get right there.
    While single now, I have been in two serious relationships while having a CCW and instructing. The first thing I teach them is that if anything ever happens, the first thing that will happen is I will be in between them and the threat. The second thing is that they need to run as fast as possible back into store, theater etc (whatever the public place may be) as fast as possible if I draw, and do not turn around and do not stop, that I will call them when it's over.
    Luckily, I have never had to fire. I have drawn on three occasions, and had to "meander" around my residence with a long gun once. Oh, and 8 months in the middle east, which kinda helps you prepare for things like this a little ;) While I can't speak for people like McKenzie, I can say I live in a GOOD part of my area, and 1 in 6 houses here will experience a home invasion within the next 3 years. I choose not to have myself, nor even more importantly my loved ones, be on the victim side of violent crime. And in todays economy, the statistics are only rising.

6. highdesertreef

highdesertreef Flamingo Tongue

A pellet gun and a .22 are around the same caiber. The only difference is the muzzle velocity. Those pellets can do some major damage as well. I am glad you want to be proficient with your firearm before carrying. Many people just go buy a gun and then get a CCW and never fire more then their qualifying shots. If you don't know your weapon you are more likely to do something stupid. Just remember "Guns and bullets are stupid. They require you to tell them where to go and when. I can't help it if you are dumber than your gun." Kevin "highdesertreef" Boschult

7. #1ClownFish

#1ClownFish Astrea Snail

I have a 30-06, Tika 3. Two 300 Ult Mags, custom. 3 AR 15's, .223. One for mum, dad, and me.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1. The last class I instructed, 2 out of the 10 peoples guns didn't even function, and I had to fail them. When asked about it, they had last fired them 5 years ago when doing the CCW before. It's just astonishing sometimes :eek:
    I make it a point to go and fire the majority of my guns at least twice a month. Grant it, during the winter, I usually don't make it out there that often, but I still keep up on them. I couldn't imagine not firing off at least a few rounds once a month.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's exactly what the class and training are designed to do--and for good reason. Gun ownership and the right to carry are great responsibilities. In a land where these these rights are permitted to some, it's in everyone's best interest that you're very comfortable with a firearm. The instructor's job is to make you comfortable with a firearm, it's cleaning and disassembly; and most importantly with the rules regarding carry.

It's not something to boast about. It's not something to advertise or get cocky with. It's a trust bestowed that carries with it a whole new realm of responsibility. If you don't take it seriously, hold the right in high regard, and set an example for everyone else regarding the sober manner in which we must conduct ourselves--perhaps you should carry a healthier revererance for guns instead of a gun itself.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

My wife and I run drills occasionally (using a Nintendo gun). Recently we've started doing them with baby involved, so she knows how to pick her up and start running simultaneously (baby is walking now). We also practice identifying real cover when we are in public. It's fun, but it's also really helpful... just in case.

I like to think I live in an excellent area. I have never fired. I have displayed once and drawn once. In both cases, the assailant took off running... hand stayed on the butt, but I didn't need to give chase for any reason, so I just watched him leave.

The first time, I saw some dude up against my car in a full parking lot. So I got to the other side of the lane and as I got in his view, he began to fumble w/keys as if he was trying to merely unlock his door. But it was MY door!! Once I was lined up with him, I stopped, turned, and just stared at him. I started approaching in a direct line (nervous system primed and ready to react), he raised his slim jim as a weapon (nice, I thought) and I pulled. He took off running and I got a free slim jim. I did not bother w/the police as he was gone and I wasn't about to go chasing after the punk. And I got to keep my car.

The second time was some weirdo approaching me in a parking lot at the grocery store... wasn't sure what he was after, but he gave me a serious bad vibe. I had noticed him B-lining to me from across the parking lot (recall rule 1: be aware of your surroundings) so I was watching him approach from my peripheral (with the thought, "I hope he isn't a decoy"). When he got with in 20 feet I stopped loading my trunk, turned and faced him. He kept coming. Within 15 feet, I yelled STOP and put out my left hand. He kept coming. My Right hand went for protection device. He kept coming. I made the firearm visible (not completely drawn) and yelled STOP one more time. He froze. I said "leave". He started to speak. I yelled "LEAVE". He left. All that happened really really fast. God, my heart is pounding just remembering it.

Anyway, those are two instances where I was glad to have it.

I learned things from each encounter.

12. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Because a cop is too heavy to carry around.

1 person likes this.