gumball machine betta fish tank build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by el_piraña, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ive never done a planted tank but, i think the hardest part would be finding a good enough light to grow the plants but at the same time fit over the top of your tank.

Their is a special subtrate you need to use, im blanking on the name, but id just google planted tank to see what you find.

a planted beta tank would be pretty sweet but i think it would take some work

2. Click Here!

3. el_piraña

el_piraña Flamingo Tongue

I really appreciate your concerns! I guess you saw you're the second person to question the use of silicone with acrylic on this tank and I'm sure your both probably right :-/

Do you think it will hold for a while until I can remedy it? After all, there won't be a lot of pressure on the joints with only 1 gallon of water.

I have an alternative idea. I can get a piece of glass cut in a circle shape that would completely cover the bottom opening of the aquarium, which could then be siliconed to the glass bowl.

Then I won't use the heater that I already have. Instead, I've been thinking about using a heater "pad" such as these: http://www.watlow.com/literature/specsheets/files/heaters/1701_1100.pdf

You can find these heaters in various shapes, voltage ratings, power ratings, almost whatever you want. I can attach it to the bottom of the new glass bottom of the tank and allow it to heat the aquarium. I can vary the heat if I wanted to.

It will take a little while to do this, and it may be the long term solution, but I'd like to be able to use the tank as it is for a little while :-/ I have had water in it for almost 3 weeks just seeing if it will leak...none yet.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  4. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

They do have push button switches I got one @ a local store when I built a "light saber" I wanted it to light up.

1 person likes this.
  5. el_piraña

I'm hoping this thread would encourage someone else to try it! Take a look here: Gumball Machine | Gum Ball Machines For Sale | Bubble Gum Machines | Spiral Gum Ball Machines | Mini Bubblegum Dispensers They've got a lot of really cool gumball machines, many of which are larger and may be better to work with. I bet your kids would like it ;)

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looking good, great set up and design and well thought out. Keep up the great work.

7. el_piraña

You've got me thinking about it all over again :idea2:

you know, I probably could have mounted a push button switch up through the hole in such a way that would allow the screw to essentially be the cap of the button, but it would hang below. I would've had to think of another power solution for the lights instead of the 9V battery. There are other types of batteries that are physically smaller, I could stack them or wire them in series.

since I'm down the path of using the parts I have, I'll probably continue, but if I did it all over again, your idea probably would've been the coolest!

8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

You could probably still use the 9v the push button assembly is separate from the battery carrier....that how mine was anyway....I chose 2 AA since I have rechargables.

10. el_piraña

The problem is that the lid is so small, the 9V battery carrier barely fits inside as it is. so many ways to do the same thing...

11. el_piraña

I appreciate the compliment! I think it will turn out nice

12. el_piraña

Schematic of my circuit, which is relatively simple:

[​IMG]

Bill of Materials for light circuit:

Qty (1) Push Button Switch; $2.09 ea; Mfr: Shin Chin, p/n R13-512B1-05-BB, Mouser p/n 112-R13-512B1-05-BB

Qty (4) LED - through hole; $0.32 ea; Mfr: VCC Optoelectronics, p/n VAOL-5LWY4, Mouser p/n 593-VAOL-5LWY4

Qty (4) Resistor - 270 Ohm standard 1/4 Watt (I had these on hand)

Qty (1) 9V battery

Qty (1) 9V battery holder w/ cover & switch; $1.30 ea; Mfr: Eagle Plastic Devices, p/n 12BH9V/CS-GR, Mouser p/n 12BH9V/CS-GR

LED datasheet: http://vcclite.com/wp-content/files/VAOL-5LWY4-LED-5mm-white.pdf