gumball machine betta fish tank build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by el_piraña, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

that'll be tough to cut. its cast isnt it?

then again... if you're cutting by way of torch.... you're golden :)

2. Click Here!

3. el_piraña

el_piraña Flamingo Tongue

The torch is tempting, but I opted to try a Dremel first!

4. el_piraña

Using the Dremel wasn't too bad, I just took my time. Here's a picture of the cutting wheel I used...

[​IMG]

The lid modified...
    [​IMG]

and the screw modified...
    [​IMG]

I'll probably just silicone the screw in place in the lid. Here's the modified lid from the bottom with the screw in place...
    [​IMG]

This should give me just enough room to mount the other parts. I didn't take a pic of the lid from the top, but it looks exactly like it did before the modifications.

5. el_piraña

The lid normally has a plastic piece that fits underneath it. It was used previously as part of the mechanism to hold the hollow rod in place when it was actually a gumball machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to be able to use this piece to help hold the parts I've got, but I don't want to have it showing at all. I found that since I've cut out the metal from the lid, I can flip the plastic piece around to where it's tucked up inside the lid instead of hanging down from it.

[​IMG]

6. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

Wow so much work for a betta. I would have skipped the heater, and any type of filtration. no need for any of that. No offense meant at all here, but I think you are way overthinking a betta tank. Those fish can live in just about any condition, all you need is water...everything else is simply cosmettics.

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

This build is the difference between the betta prison that most little kids have in their room and the happy conditions pets should have. Building something that you have seen done before and that will merely suffice is just lazy. Over thinking is the beginning of something new and innovative. If everyone 20 years ago had simply built what would suffice, we would still be wondering why our SPS was dying.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

not saying to just throw water in and leave it...obviously your gonna have to do water changes and such to keep it clean, but adding in a filter and heater isnt necessary at all. If thats what he wants to do, then kudos to him. I would just hate to see someone spend 10 hours of work and get the same results as 1 hour...like I said, no offense meant :) either way, looking good so far ;D

10. el_piraña

This has been quite a bit of work, I think I've spent way more than 10 hours if I add in the time I've spent just looking at my parts and thinking about how to accomplish what I want. ;) I love working on it and I enjoy it tremendously, so the time doesn't bother me at all!

My reasons for doing this fish tank:
    I wanted to build a fish tank that was unique and not something that everyone else does. It also had to look as good as possible.
    I wanted the fish to be happy and healthy. I spent hours and hours reading about bettas before ever buying the first piece of equipment for it. I'm by no means an expert, but I've learned what I feel is a good environment for this type of fish to live in.

my sister has a betta in a bowl probably 1/3 the size of this, and it does ok, but I wanted this one to have some room to swim. Although they can survive in really small amounts of water, it's not ideal. I think 2-5 gallons would be the best and I personally feel I'm still going a bit small at just shy of 1 gallon. I'm on a really tight budget and it would have cost 3-4 times as much to get a decent sized gumball machine. (I got this one at 50% off just after christmas at a local store, only paid $25)

These fish should be in 78-82 deg water (if I remember right). Cold water can make the fish lethargic. I think when you walk in the pet store and see these fish sitting at the bottom of their little containers, it's probably because the water is too cold....assuming the water is actually in good condition.

I won't have any filtration. I thought about it a lot and really wanted to have a filter, but in the end it didn't work out. I will keep up on the water changes since there won't be a filter.

The lights...well, they may be overkill, but if I'm adding a heater, I might as well add lights too!

11. el_piraña

Got the dremel out again and modified the plastic piece.

[​IMG]

I removed two of the supports, which should give just enough room for the 9V battery holder. It may be hard to see how it'll work, but I'll get more pics soon!

I also shaved off the 3 plastic nubs that would just get in the way.

12. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

As long as your happy, then keep up the good work. I meant no discouragement, and it doesnt look like i caused any;D You will have a very happy betta when it is all said and done