gsp uncontrolable, xenia everywhere, sps growing out the top of tank

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by reeferdude, Dec 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

honestly...how many times have you heard this? keep your gsp and xenia isolated because it spreads soo fast, its unkillable, its the plague of corals???
    oh no, you got gsp and xenia? i'm sorry but you will have to tear your tank down and start over. come on people, is it just me???
    truthfully please, how many others are out there like me? you try to do everything right and still nothing grows? it seems like they do good and grow for about 2 months and then all of a sudden stops and start to decline. some just wither away to nothing and some just kinda hang there in limbo. some things look good and im proud of, but dont grow like they should.
    i cant stand to read the posts about people that had their tank up for 2 months and bragging about all the success and showing pics of really nice coral. worst is the ones about immature tanks with sps growing 1/2 inch every night and they are poking out the top of their tanks and complaining about having to cut them back every week just to keep them from taking over.
    if coral grew that good for alot of people, we wouldn't have to pay $10.00 for a DNA sample of corals...i mean "frags"
    i'm not here for help or info of what i'm doing wrong... i have been in this hobby for over 8 years and spent seems like millions of $ on equipment and livestock... i'm not a quitter and i am determined that i will have success one day...oh yes, one day i will!!!!!!
    i just want to vent and hear from others that feel the same as i do

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would say most overestimate growth rates and it does depend on the size of the coral they got on growth rate.

Some people are also ridiculously lucky.

Congrats on not giving up. We will be more than happy to help you with any husbandry issues when you want our help.

4. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

i wish i had that problem! One day.............

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

all my stuff grows well for the first month and then stops..... that being said i think my corals are just lazy because no matter what i do they wont grow either so i feel your pain.

P.S. but they are healthy and look really good just wont grow

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

My frogspawn is very healthy, extends all the way, great coloring. But its the same size it was when I got it like 6 months ago. Don't know why, all levels are fine.

1 person likes this.
  7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

as long as you aren't bitter. :)

8. Click Here!

9. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

10. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

another thing that gets me is seeing pics of tanks that are claiming to be 2 or 3 months old and there is coralline algae all over the place, almost covering the entire back of the tank....!!!!

and pgoodsell..... you know that frogspawn should have tripled the number of heads by now.... according to the posts of the super reefers anyway...haha!!! i guess you and i just don't know what we are doing ::)

1 person likes this.
  11. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

me bitter? never....
    you must be one of those lucky ones that your corals are always singing and dancing... lol!!!

12. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

no, my corals grows slowly......except for the gsp and mushrooms, they spread pretty fast.