GSP - SPS Killer?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I am very skeptical of the coral chem warfare stuff. I certainly believe corals can sting each other, and I believe that under some circumstances, such as if they are stressed or dieing, they can potentially release toxic chemical byproducts into the water. And they may contain toxins to keep predators at bay. However, it doesn't seem logical that release of toxins would be energetically viable as a defense mechanism, in the open ocean. It takes a lot of energy to produce toxins and in the open ocean due to the shear volume of water and water movement, they would disperse very quickly. To have any effect, they'd have to have outrageous potency, which they don't seem to, as people keep mixed reefs with no or little carbon for extended periods.

So, personally, I think the whole hypothosis is a bit flawed. Also, I have not seen any scientific research that actually indicates this happens, other than a study, I believe on a reef website IIRC, where they did something like put a goniopora in with another coral and the other coral died. The goniopora could have just been stressed from the change and leaked some internal fluids. Or something else completely coincidental happened. There was not much control IIRC. This may be an issue, but IMO significantly less so than hobbyists believe. I've certainly had gsp and other "toxic" corals in a mixed reef with no noticeable effect. My concern would be overgrowing and stinging other corals. This certainly does happen.

I realize a lot of people believe differently though.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I believe this is accurate as the gsp is entirely isolated to the back and side wall of the tank and not in direct competition with any other corals. But I am going to remove it in the near future because of just the large size of it and possibility it could be affecting the sps in same manner.

( sorry for the brief hi-jack)