GSP Question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by omgiv, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Use a turkey baster and blow off the film. It will be fine.

Probably the lights, mine looks real Purple.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. omgiv

omgiv Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks for all of the replies. My water parameters are all in check right now. My other corals are doing really well. I am assuming that it is just getting used to the new environment. I do have a clear sponge on one of my rocks, but it doesn't look the same. If it isn't gone in a day or two, I will brush it off and see if it comes back. The whitish color that GreyGhost was talking about...is that new growth for the gsp?

My lights just turned off, but I will try and get a picture of it tomorrow if I can capture what I am talking about. Thanks!!!

Ivy

1 person likes this.
  4. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

GSP have an attitude of their own. Some of them open up within a few hours, I've seen them take up to 3 weeks to come out. By the way I noticed that you're in Stafford, where do you buy your livestock? We're up in Ashburn about 30 mintues NW of DC and there are slim pickings up here for good marine shops. Oh yea dont handle the GSP to much, every time I bump or move mine they pout for a while before coming back out.

5. omgiv

I haven't had much luck finding good corals, or fish for that matter, locally. I have resorted to buying most of my stuff online and have had pretty good success. There is a store in ALexandria called Pristine Aquariums that had some good looking fish and the people that worked there were very helpful. Do you have any good stores near you?

6. s10lowrider1994

The best store we have found is Centreville Aquarium in Centreville, VA. The owner is very nice and will order you whatever you want. The prices on livestock are great, all frags are $6 and all full size coral (even if its the size of your head) is $38.99 or 3 for $100 no matter what it is. They'll give you 20% off any livestock on trade in, even if you bring in a 99 cent crab you still get 20% whatever you purchase. We toured every store within 100 miles of us and this was the best one we came accross. A local reef guy told us about a new place in Manassas (cant remember the name) but we have not checked it out yet.

7. omgiv

Thanks for the tip!!! I will definitely check them out. The prices seem very good. Do you know if they take frags as part of the trade in? Thanks!!!

8. Click Here!

9. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Blow the film off with a turkey baster. It will be fine. They like flow and lots of light.

Alot of gsp becomes regular star polys over time with crappy or under powered lighting. GSP is so hardy it will adapt to almost any condition. 10k halides with no supplementation will make your gsp mat turn pinkish and most of the fluorescence will disappear. Pop it in a 20k halide tank and a month later it will become fluorescent again. Stuffs weird. I had a big wad that I put in my sump hoping it would die, covered it with live rock and darkness. 2 months later I pulled some rocks out for the display and found it, thought the mat was a type of coralline, a week later, polyps started coming out.

10. s10lowrider1994

They will take any frag you have and give you the same 20% trade in value. If I'm not mistaken they may even swap certain frags with you. Just a heads up we went to the new Aquatic Obsession in Manassas that recently opened and it was a joke. The prices are nuts (like $100 for certain frags nuts) and the employees were very rude, especially when we left with nothing. Pretty much every fish tank had no lighting and even the frag tanks had some rigged up sort of system that didnt seem to great. Anything you would even consider buying either was not for sale or had a sign on the tank that said "ask for pricing". We were there for at least a half hour and didnt see a single customer, just kept getting bothered and talked down to by the only employee who had a pulse. Overall it just seemed like 2 guys that dumped every bit of cash they had into opening a shop and now they are trying sell livestock at a 400% markup to make up for the lack of sale. We got a good laugh at a small rock with about 25 polyps of zoas priced at $100. Nothing rare just they typical zoas you see everywhere. Needless to say we got a small colony of about 40 from Centreville Aquarium for 6 bucks. Anyway if you check out Centreville give them a ring and see when their weekly shipment comes in (usually Thursday or Friday) its definitely worth the trip. On a side note we just found out Wally's in Alexandria closed a few days ago, people said the sales were so good you could not get through the front door. We went there once a long time ago but it was pretty taint but the sales during closing were apparently crazy.

11. DrSabbyDoo

DrSabbyDoo Astrea Snail

What is gsp? Sorry i'm still pretty new at this all!

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

GSP=green star polyps

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk