Grrr

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lukeoslavia, Sep 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lukeoslavia

lukeoslavia Flamingo Tongue

Well I will just get the unit at the LFS and I also just sent in the form for a custom cleaner pack. It said 48 hours so hopefully I can get them in the tank next week.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Sounds like you took two really good steps. Good luck! Hope it disappears quickly!

4. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

I had this same issue for about 4 months before I got it under control. Every time I looked at my tank, I wanted to just tear the whole thing down. The one thing that finally worked for me, was dosing large amounts of mag (I didn't even measure, just dumped a little in every day) And I picked up a Tomini Tang. I'm not sure if the mag actually helped or not. I just thought that perhaps it might work, since it killed the bryopsis I had a few years ago.

If this is in your 37 gallon tank, you might want to consider "borrowing" a Tomini if the cleanup crew doesn't get rid of it. Then take it to your LFS for some credit after the job is done.

Just my .02

5. lukeoslavia

Well I went to the LFS with the list from reefcleaners and they didn't have everything that I needed but they did help me customize it a bit and I must say after just one day im impressed! I wound up adding in a starry blenny, they say after the algae is gone he will eat just about anything I threw in (skeptical on this, but they said to bring him back if he doesn't eat the prepared food and they'll give the money back). I also got a couple emerald crabs and will be getting some nassarius snails soon.

As of now they blenny seems to be chomping away without hesitation. He has cleared a lot of the front glass and working on the sides too!

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Starry blennies are actually very cool fish as well. Hope he keeps eating algae for you!

7. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

How new is the tank? That looks like a pretty brutal attack. Don't start over, this can be fixed much easier. I believe Marine Depot had an article about restoring neglected tanks.

How to Restore a Neglected Tank by Mike Paletta (Revisions by Joseph Chang)

scrub the class, use a razor blade if necessary, then do a large water change. This should be a good start. Then if you haven't already do a blackout for a couple days. Hope this helps.

8. Click Here!

9. lukeoslavia

Yea he is a pretty nifty fish. He is like a sea chameleon.

I have coral so a blackout would probably not be a good thing at this point but I think it is going to be under control within the week or by next week (hopefully) with me pulling it out and as much as he is eating, I think we will have it licked! I just got my nitrates down to 0 so that's also a plus.