Growths on Clownfish ?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by DCD, Mar 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DCD

DCD Plankton

I have two clown fish that have small white growths. One of the clown fish looks like it's scale/gill is torn.

I've tried Tri-Sulfa and API Melafix but nothing has changed.
    The fish are eating fine and have had this problem for about 3/4 weeks now.
    I would like to help them if possible. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Here are some recent pictures.
    (On the chin)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

What I would do is - take pictures over the corse of the next day or 3 and see how it is progressing. If it looks like its getting better do nothing.. If it looks like its getting worse..
    What I would do (and this is just me, some people might(will) disagree..) Low SG dip them. I have had great success with this in the past with clowns. I did the following:

1. Mixed up a bucket of water with an SG of ABOUT 1.01
    2. Make sure the water is very similar PH & temp as tank
    3. Airate the water WELL.
    4. Place the fish in the water. This is the tricky part - from my experience, I have kept a VERY attentive eye on the fish while doing so to make sure the fish didnt "flip out". They usually dont, they act like they would when you take them out of there normal environment. Just make sure the fish is acting normal and any signs of distress take them out. I did the dip for 3 minutes and then put tham back to the original tank. Some people say to dip for more or less time - you have to use your best judgement.

I HIGHLY recommend you do more research before taking ANY course of action. My rule of thumb is, never take any one persons advice. Gather from multiple sources and go with the best compiled option.

I hope I dont get flammed to bad for this, but I have done it with some fish and never had a fish pass as a result all have been fine after - 1 tang and 2 clowns...

1 person likes this.