Growth patterns,proof of life.

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Corailline, Jun 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thanks guys. :)

Guess I am really just being silly. I will try to not let it bother me and make an effort to move it down, change the bulb again been about 5 months.

:)

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

IMO with the whole polarity thing of water it can grow out of the water, but still remains wet to a certain extent. (my corailline algae does this all the time). As Mr. Bill said, why would the coral destroy itself? :p

1 person likes this.
  4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

How long have you had it (just thinking back to the image of ORA's mother colony) and why was I not classified as a girl/guy!

1 person likes this.
  5. Corailline

Yes you're right surface tension keeps it moist and the ripples do cover it periodically. I have raised the display water level as much as I can safely.

2 years in June.

Because you're special. 8)

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Cheryl

I have not had any direct experience of this as yet
    I do tend to agree with those that believe the coral will react in accordance with conditions and grow outwards more than upwards for the future

if it was my coral, I would probably lower it anyway, more for aesthetic reasons than due to concern

with it lowered, your view of the coral could be improved in that you would get to see the whole coral without the need to stand up and look over the top of the tank
    LOL?

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Steve has a great point, think of Hunters Birdnest! That think is like the asteroid from Armageddon every coral underneath it must be terrified.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It now casts a volleyball sized shaddow. ::) I shouldn't admit this, but it grows so fast that "oops" sized frags go in the trash. :p

Cheryl, I think you're fine here. Pretty much all the tips on my birdsnest are out of the water. It just made it grow more dense. Occasionally, during long events with the main return shut off (cleaning, for instance), I've had most of those tips die and lose a bit of tissue. They grow right back over in about 10 days.

10. Corailline

Hey Hey Steve. :)

The inherent problems with my nanos is limited light spread and limited room.

Will do with moving it down, I will probably get some more color back to it.

This will be a solution for another 6 months and then I will have to frag it up, and that is ok. I have moved it down twice now.

:)

Isn't that why they call it a Red Planet. LOL

Love Hunter's BN, we all have our crosses that we have to bear.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I cut the formosa. The tips I cut seemed to have stopped growing. You might want to consider cutting the side that has reached the surface.

12. Corailline

Excellent Hunter that makes me feel a lot better. :)