Growing A Favia Coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by EasyMac, Jun 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I would definitely try a larger food (frozen brine, frozen cyclopeeze, coral frenzy, Oyster Eggs, etc)

2. Click Here!

3. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

Holy ** :eek: :eek: :eek: lmfao :-X :-[ im soo sorry! its my damn phone's autofill!!! :angry: :devil: :rifle: I ment tentacles!

I will give that a try! I barley see its mouth open, should i still try to feed it regardless?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. N3MATOCYST

N3MATOCYST Spaghetti Worm

classic. haha at work laughing about a coral's testicles lol

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hahaha. Easy mistake. But a funny one. Thats for sure. I used to feed mine chopped up pieces of shrimp soaked in zoe and zoecon. (Its a Kent product, nutrient soak. Good stuff.) The color changed a decent amount. Very bright for being under 10k bulbs. If I were you I would place in the lower portion of your tank. Make sure to keep the calcium levels higher. I recently switched to Red Sea brand coral pro salt mix. I did a water change and my corals have shown great results. My favias and all lps corals really have really expanded noticeably. If you arent already using a salt mix especially for corals I would recommend switching to it if your wallet can handle the extra few bucks. Just my two cents.

6. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

This is what I'm talking about. I never see it's mouth open or *tentacles* at all. Am I mistaking it? Is it not a favia? It just looks like a pretty piece of rock.

At the store my LFS spot fed a favia he had and instantly you could see it's mouths opening up. My favia here literally seems like a piece of rock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

don't worry, it just made it even better ;)

I used to feed mine frozen krill, they seemed to like it, there feederes would be out all day.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

In the beginning, you're not likely to see it open during the day. You have to train it. After the lights have been out at night for an hour or so (and the room is dark), put some type of coral food in the tank. (Not phytoplankton...it won't eat that). Wait about 15 minutes and you should see some polyps exposing the testicles (LOL). Gently blow some coral food on it with a turkey baster and some tank water. Each time you feed, move the time back 15 minutes. In a couple of weeks, you'll be able to feed even when there's lights on in the room.

10. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

I go to a site called Tidal Garden and use there in put on placement and food and such. So far spot on. Just pick coral family and read.

11. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

I know this is an old thread but was looking up info on feeding favias... too freaking hilarious!

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

LMAO!!! Try putting it next to a female favia.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.