grounding device

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by geologeek, Dec 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Thats exactly why I ground my tanks. Not leathal (to most) but to be avoided. I also see it as a way to direct any rouge "waves" or "signals" out of the water into the ground. Most sealife have finetuned sensory organs that pickup on elctromagnetic and in some even incredibly weak electrical signals that detect THE SLIGHTEST current, even the firing or neurons that activate muscles! More prevelant in active preditors like sharks, especially eels, ans others with highly developed lateral lines. We did experiments with tesla coils and saltwater eels in my Marine bio labs last semester...the eels in the ungrounded tanks quickly found thier way onto the floors. Completley uncorrelated as of now (officially documentd and widley accepted) but my "predetors" and clams seem to be very sensitive to lots of appliances.

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I like that FLetch!!! ;D

I felt a little zap on a cuticle cut I had on my finger, didn't think much about it 'cause I thought it was the salt in the cut. I noticed that when I put my hand in my QT there was no zap so I'm going to get one of those grounding probes. My LFS has them for $11. I've seen a few other DIY designs on the web with capacitors and such...

Don't ever touch a live capacitor in an amplifier...I did...threw me through a swinging kitchen door into the kitchen and on top of the kitchen table. My hairs never been the same!!! [smiley=afro.gif]

Drew

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=dx7fd2 link=board=DIY;num=1103567926;start=0#12 date=01/02/05 at 09:29:17]I like that FLetch!!!  ;D

Don't ever touch a live capacitor in an amplifier...I did...threw me through a swinging kitchen door into the kitchen and on top of the kitchen table. My hairs never been the same!!!   [smiley=afro.gif]

Drew[/quote]

[smiley=hehe.gif] [smiley=hehe.gif] [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif] [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif][smiley=yelrotflmao.gif]
    [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif] [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif] [smiley=laughcry.gif] [smiley=laughcry.gif] [smiley=hehe.gif] [smiley=hehe.gif]
    [smiley=hehe.gif]
    I've done that my self WOOOOOOOW I think you could stop your heart with one big enough

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Yikes!!!! Bring on the defibulator!!!

7. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

TOday @ work was a prime example....we are setting up the final phases of our reef flat @ work and i was ransfering the Lr from the old old old tank the the new one. After i transfered almsot all the rock i had a piece in my hand. as soon as i got it out of water a pistol shrimp came out and ploped on the floor and was holing the edge of the tank for balance with my fingers in the water...so i set the rock down to save him. As soon as that rock touched the ground....WHAP! I got a major zap from the tank, actually made my face red! no injuries though (except my pride) ;)

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Wow!! Zapppppp!!! I'm glad I just picked up a probe from the LFS...I wonder what that does to the inverts in an ungrounded tank. I know that they aren't grounded, but it must not feel good to have all that stray voltage running around!! :eek: [smiley=shocked2.gif] :eek:

Drew