grounding a coil and core ballast

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by vdhillon2, Sep 13, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

Hi,
    i'm not exactly an electrician, but i've got the basics. I'm retrofitting my canopy with 2 175W halides which i have powered by two coil and core ballasts from Magnatek. I've read the wiring directions and i pretty much get how to wire everything, but there is no ground wire for the ballasts. I know i have to ground everything i do, but i can't find a wire to connect it to. Do i just put a screw into the ballast itself and ground it from there? thanks for any help...
    vinnie

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Yup just run the ground wire from the power cord to the mounting screw for the ballast, That should be fine. JMO as I am not a electrician my self

If any one has another suggestion feel free. John

4. Coastie

Coastie Plankton

That will work fine, or if the cord is too shor and the fixture is metal, then you could just ground the fixture and when you screw the ballast to the fixture it will be grounded. Inspect the ballast to make sure that the feet are not coated with the dip material they use to make it, That stuff is an insulator.Have fun!@