Grey looking Algae, kind of feathery

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mattheuw1, Nov 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Its not hydroids. PGreef has a pic of it on the first page of the thread. Its grey detritus looking gha. Could even be thin gha with detritus stuck to it. Anyways.....I've had the algae on some of my rocks and it never spreads to the lit areas of the tank. Stays short, thin and on underside of rocks. Does not seem to be an issue as it doesn't spread or grow like a nuisance algae.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

How about a bacterial bloom?

4. Bgregson

Bgregson Plankton

Thanks for the ideas

Hi, I'm glad to get some responses, I'm pretty new at this and like solving problems with my reef but this latest one really has me stumped. I finally got a computer so I'm attaching a pic of the "algae" or whatever it is. I dont think it is harming anything, I just dont like it lol. My phos was crazy high, about 1.0, but I'm bringing it down with rowaphos and have seen no change yet, even after more than a month using the rowaphos. I have no other algae problems, hardly even have to clean my glass at all. Thanks for the help all!

Attached Files:

5. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Yep! same stuff. I think its just detritus buildup on some thin hair algae or something. It's probably in most tanks but its not too noticeable.