Grey looking Algae, kind of feathery

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mattheuw1, Nov 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I did several searches and I came up with other people describing the same thing. No answers though.

I saw lots of posts describing it looking like dust or drier lint.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Bgregson

Bgregson Plankton

I've got it too

Did anyone ever figure out what this strange growth is? I have it too and it has been steadily getting worse in my tank despite my best efforts to improve water parameters and suck it out. It seems to grow on some rocks and avoid others so I'm wondering if it is feeding off something in certain rocks? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Can you please post a picture and people may be able to narrow it down. It could be a thousand things.

5. Bgregson

Bgregson Plankton

I can't get a pic up now but the one posted earlier shows it. Mine is thicker though and becoming a real pain. It is the color of ashes and nothing seems to eat it, not my crabs, snails, urchin, or anything. I'll try to get a better pic up but I have no computer and am posting from my phone. Thanks again.

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

It seems to be detritus built up and getting stuck on algae. I noticed spots I have it are caked with detritus. It hasn't overgrown into lit areas since I've had it and only seems to grow on the dark bottomside of rockwork......I wouldn't worry about it.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Feather Caulerpa is my guess

8. Click Here!

9. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

i had the same stuff on a couple of my rock and then it turned into gha and is now pretty much gone. very frustrating stuff. i have just a little gha left hopefully it will be gone soon as well. took about a month or so but my tank is starting to look good again.

10. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Yea....I have green hair algae that has detritus all over it and it looks like the feathery algae in my pics.

*Its def not feather caulerpa

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Could it be a species of hydroids?

[​IMG]

Or Foraminiferans

Hmmmmm... it seems I disabled right click/copy on my site. Lemme see if I have the pic stashed elsewhere.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Dang.... it's not on this laptop.....

Go to this link Hitchhikers and scroll down to the sessile section and look at the foraminiferan pic to the right. It's not always pretty and branchy like that, but is often straight short strands.