green water

Discussion in 'Algae' started by stepho, Dec 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

There is a fair ammount of algae in the tank. Its hard to see the algae on the rocks, due to the cloudiness and impossible to get a picture of it. There is also some brown algae on the substrate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of one of my hermit crabs wallowing in his field of algae :D
    [​IMG]

Here is one I quickly edited, so you can see the algae a little easier.
    [​IMG]

There is bigger patch of algae, about 10x the size of that one on the other side of the tank, but it was impossible to photograph.

For some reason my camara wants to make everything a lot greener than it is.

The crabs and snails really seem to like munching on the algae. There is also a lot of algae on the bottom of the sump. In the chamber with live sand, it looks like (from what I can see) the entire bottom is covered in algae.

10acrewoods- I own and read the book Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies. I plan on expanding my library of Aquarium books, but I haven't run across any other books that seem to have a whole lot of information I don't.

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I am saving up for The Reef Aquarium Book - Volume 3 this serries I hear the have a ton of info but the whole set is like $180 or more. I hope I didn't offend you that was not my intention. I just find the more people rely on others the more the information will get distorted. That is why I sugested reading a book or two. But seriously I had that same problem and it worked its way out, just be patient.

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Oh don't worry you didn't offend me at all. Yeah I know what you mean. I try to get as much information as I can from as many different sources, between this website, asking questions at the LFS, my aquariums book (probably books soon), and other websites, I am hoping to achieve a balanced perspective and gain as much knowledge as I can.

I think I am just going to be patient. I figure the green water is due to phosphorus/light from the windows/and possibly out of spectrum lights. I am already using RO/DI water for top offs and have kept the windows closed. I am using filter floss and changing it often to hopefully remove the algae alive. The water seems to be getting clearer. I just need to replace the lamps and I still need to get my own test kit. Hopefully I will get both over the weekend.

I also want to get a spectrometer so I know when to change the bulbs.

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Well good luck. keep us posted on what happens.

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

It seems the wait and see and give it time was the right approach. The tank is getting noticeably clearer and I can actually see one of my fish swimming around my purple live rock, which is right about in the middle of the tank.

I'll be sure to use RO/DI water from now on, and I still need to get my new light bulbs. I am not getting paid until monday so we will have to see if I can afford to replace the lights before than.

Anyway the water is clearing up, just by using filter floss so thats good. I'm really happy. All of my pets still seem to be doing good. I think one of the hermit crabs is going to need a larger shell though.

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Waiting was seems to pay out the most mother nature always finds a way.