green water

Discussion in 'Algae' started by stepho, Dec 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Thanks fishoholic. Any good brands you would recommend?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

Turbo twist is nice but I'm sure there are others just as nice. The twist keeps the water in contact with the UV light longer, which makes it more effective. Or you could just use a valve on the outlet part of the UV to slow down the flow.

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I had green water once Once and then found the magic of a kick but protien skimmer. I might have over looked it but didn't see if you had one listed. protien skimming will do the trick. If you have a skimmer make shure it is working good and is big enough to handle the bioload.

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I do have a skimmer. I don't know much about it, other than its a venturi style. I bought the tank used and the skimmer came with it. It doesn't look nearly as fancy as the ones I see for sale at the LFS. It seems to be working pretty good though.

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Are you getting good and nasty smell from it and are the bubbles nice and small.

7. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

post a pic of the skimmer, so we can identify what it is, your best bet is get a good uv sterilizer, aqua ultraviolet in 15 watt or 25 watt.

8. Click Here!

9. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Well you seem to be in the right place for advice and it's nice to see you're willing to spend the money on the UV and chemical supplements to help support you system. I know when i started i was "cheap". Different story now and everything is going much smoother. K+ for finding the right place for advice and for good luck with the green stuff.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Try to do every thing you can before adding chemicals to the water. Best to do it without chemicals if you can.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Correction; UV sterilizers do not have a human brain to be able to distinguish between good and bad algae or bacteria or anything else in the water volume.

1 person likes this.
  12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

The uv will kill good bad and the ugly. I have tryed to stay away from them. Having clear water with out one lets one know they are doing a good job. ::)