green water

Discussion in 'Algae' started by stepho, Dec 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Hello everyone.

I need some help clearing up my water. It has horribly green water.

[​IMG]

I believe it was caused by leaving the lights on too long and possibly being out of spectrum. I just got the tank not quite a month ago, and it just finished cycling. We bought the tank and all the equipment used. The lady we bought it from said the lights were brand new and had just been changed... however I think they had pretty thick salt creep on them for being brand new. In the tank are 10 tiny hermit crabs, 10 turbo snails, and 4 green chromis all of which seem to be doing fine other than not being able to see them.

The LFS suggested turning the lights on for only 8 hours a day, and using a product called biomagnet and filter floss. The bio magnet is one of those products that is supposed to clump the algae together so it can get picked up by filters better. It doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot to help. Its been about four days and it hasn't gotten much clearer.

I have been doing some research (googling) and what I have found is that most people suggest doing water changes and leaving the lights off until the algae goes away.

The LFS didn't recommend doing water changes since the tank is still so new. They also strongly warned against UV filters because it will also kill the good bacteria and things I want in my tank.

I am afraid that if I leave the lights off until the green algae blooms go away I will damage or kill the live rock as well. Would it do any harm to any of my animals (hermits, turbo snails, green chromis) to leave the lights off for a while?

I don't mind waiting for it to clear up, but the snails like to climb out onto the roof of the tank and then sometimes they drop and land on their shells. I am worried that they will fall and I won't be able to see them to upright them.

Thank you very much for any advice you can give me!

-Stephen

tl;dr would it hurt my live rock/sand and animals if I leave the lights off to kill the water borne green algae blooms?

Should I do water changes even though the LFS recommended I wait? My tank is about 3 weeks old.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

For one you don't need the lights on for cycle, it's just a fuel for algae. Do you have a way to test for ORP like a meter?? Running carbon will help clear the water up but the algae is another story.

4. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

Running a UV sterilizer will not kill all the good bacteria just some. I use one in my tank and everything is fine.

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I do not have a way to test for ORP. I didn't even know what that was until I looked it up just now! ;D I am a complete newbie about this stuff. I read through saltwater aquariums for dummies and I can't recall a single thing about that. lol.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

What does the algae look like on the rock?? Is it stringy like hair or just a low lying green mesh?

7. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would turn the lights off.. While it is difficult because you want to see your tank it is not needed at this stage. Lights out and you take away one key element to the algae's success. you could also run a phosphate sponge as well to try to pull some of the phosphates out of the water. Good Luck!

8. Click Here!

9. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

what about the windows in the background. sunlight and tanks dont mix.

1 person likes this.
  10. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i fear no algae! except green water! man oh man thats the worst, a u.v sterilizer will definately clean it up and once its straightened out you can just stop using it, you may have a bigger problem though as the only tanks i've ever had pea soup in all received to much direct sunlight, a little indirect is ok {unavoidable really} but if your tank is seeing alot of sun i'd move it or cover the windows,then give it a few weeks and it hasnt improved drop the cash on a u.v.
    that green water is actually very beneficial despite of its ugliness,if it starts going yellow do some big water changes asap yellow{dying} is quite bad news

11. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

It is hard to see the rocks because the water is so green, but it looks like low lying mesh, I don't see any hairs.

Leaving the lights off won't hurt my purple coralline algae that is on my live rock will it? I don't have any problem leaving the lights off I just don't want to hurt my beautiful rock.

The windows were open for a little while and they are big windows that let in a lot of light. I have the windows covered now and I will keep them covered.

It seems like a UV sterilizer's don't seem to be that expensive. I don't mind buying one as long as it isn't going to kill my good bacteria like the LFS suggested.

Thanks for all the replies!!!! You guys are great!

12. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

You don't have to run a UV 24/7 and they wont kill all your good bacteria just some, which wont crash your tank. If you use a UV it will take the green out of the water,and is good for fish diseases. Many reefers run UV sterilizers on there tanks.

1 person likes this.