Green water and Roitfers

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Damsels R Cool, Mar 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

from my understanding i had to create "green water" first then add rotifers that eat the green water and reproduce and freeze some just incase my culture ever crashed but. some rotifers are taken out and feed to the larva

Do i have this right

i need some one who breeds

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would just buy them, you can also buy the phytoplankton in a bottle
    http://www.reed-store.com/?category=58&subcategory=30

4. ClowningAround

ClowningAround Bristle Worm

Im in the same boat you about trying to learn what to do. my black and white clowns just laid eggs so I have been researching alot. Basically you can start growing your own phyto which is what you then use to feed your rotifers,You will need to get some sort of culture to start the phyto then you will need a fertilizer to feed the phtyo for it to keep growing. Then you feed your rotifers to your clown larva(atleast thats what I will be doing). But Im not going to make my own phtyo its too much of a headache worrying if they are going to crash or not. Instead Im going to buy Instant Algae and use that instead its a very high concentrated form of phyto its kinda expensive but worth it and it last along time. Hope that helps some

5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I started my culture of phyto with a starter culture of Nanochloropsis from Florida Aqua Farms, using their fertilizer as well. Once I had a good number of cultures going I started some rotifers from cysts which I also purchased from FAF.
    You need to have a lot of phyto culturing, first, because it is prone to crashing, and second, because the rots devour so much phyto it's almost unbelievable.
    I started by growing phyto in 2 litre pop bottles, graduating to 4 litre cider jugs, but now, I use mostly 5 gallon Instant Ocean pails because I need so many rotifers for the first few weeks of each batch of seahorse fry I'm raising.