green star polyps

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by skiergd011013, Feb 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

just got some green star polyps. what type of placement do they prefer? right now mine are in low flow and getting good light. its been in the tank for an hour and nothing has opened up yet. is this normal?

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Could take up to a few days to open. They do that some times and I have some gsp and psp in high flow and low flow. Both are doing good. Give it time they will come out.

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

GSP can do well under almost any condition,very hardy and tolerant

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

be prepared for them to spread , sometimes too much. but they do take some time to usually open. they will add a nice splash of color for sure.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on all of the above posts

as a general comment , the pores can get blocked at times from settled detrius/ waste
    so if you have this coral and it opens fully for a while and then you notice that you only get partial opening - a quick blast with a turkey baster to remove the settled matter helps
    if that happens often- then IME you need more water movement around the coral

Steve

7. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

i have mine placed on a overhang rock about half way up, placed in mild current. its already dbl in size after 3-4 months and attache to the rock. they should be open by tomar morning.
    ive seen them grown on the sand bed and high up in the tank, high flow and low flow...

8. Click Here!

9. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

probibly just from being handled so much today. i know im going to rest a portion of it against glass so it climbs it