green star polyps no out

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Yuri Kapustin, Nov 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

iodine??? my star polyps close sometimes after i dose and open fully after a couple days:eek::eek::eek:

4. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

Aright, so pertaining to my current thread of my gsp's, i bought a larger tonga branch today filled with a slightly different looking gsp. The tentacles are longer than my current gsp frag.

Question: The new piece of gsps has a matte that looks lighter in color and more pink than the matte on my current gsp. When the polyps are receeded, as they are now in my QT tank, the matte is noticeably more pink. Does this mean it is a special type of gsp or is it common to have different coloration in gsp mattes?

I also bought one head of a really neat looking clove polyp. Anyone know how fast clove polyps grow? It seems that my existing clove colony has been growing quick in the last week...
    I think this is what it is:
    http://zomania.com/images/neongreenclove14kmh.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well!

TIA for my Question

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

GSP's will randomly not open all the time. Unless it has been more than a couple of weeks I would not worry at all.
    You can try cleaning them off. Variuos debris can get on them, along with their own biojelly. Hold them under a powerhead and brush them off with an old toothbrush/paintbrush, etc (some form of soft brislte brush) while they are under the direct current of a powerhead. This will often help a lot. If they do open a day or so after the brushing, its a sign they may need to be in a higher flow area.
    As for the lighter color, is it mostly around the outside edges of the mat? The mat will even turn white around the outside edges. This is just new growth

6. Yuri Kapustin

No, its not just on the edges. It is the entire mat. Its a just a lighter shade of purple/pink. I just thought it maybe signified another species of gsp since its tentacles were longer. I have been watching it in the lfs and it is very very healthy so i know it is not health related.

Thank you for your answer.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I wouldnt be worried even if its not on the edges. There are a TON of different species. They will also slightly change looks depending on where they are. I notice with mine that the tentacles will get longer if they are in more flow

8. Click Here!

9. Yuri Kapustin

Oh okay. I did not know that. Here is a comparison picture i just took so you could see what i am talking about. The one on the lower right is a small frag i have a for a while. the new one is the top left. Thanks
    [​IMG]