green star polyps no out

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Yuri Kapustin, Nov 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

green star polyps not out

Two days ago i noticed that my green star polyps didnt come out. All of the other corals are fine.(xenia, leather toadstool, other polyps, featherduster)
    The green star polyps have been in the tank longer than any of the others and have never shown a sign of "not opening"
    There is no debrit on the matt, and there isnt any coral doscoloration or any signs of stress. The water param were checked just this morning and and are no more usual than any other day.
    What in the world happened?

On a side note, i bought a baby cleaner shrimp (2" long). My engineering goby ( the one with a reputation for killing things (in other threads) killed him.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

It's been like this for 2 days? Those things could grow in mud...The only thing i could thing of is maybe something walked/crawled/swam over it? and it shut and stayed shut? How's your cal/mag/alk?

1 person likes this.
  4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Check your temp! They are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations!

1 person likes this.
  5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I wouldn't worry about them too much at this point. It could be a snail or hermit crawled across them or ran into them. When I moved mine, they were still on a frag square, they didn't open for a couple of days or barely opened. Sometimes, corals will just close up for no apparent reason. Give them some time, they are very hardy.

1 person likes this.
  6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have had mine close up for quite a few days in a row and then just come out of it. Just keep an eye on them.

1 person likes this.
  7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Heck.. My friend gave me a frag of gsp's.. It took almost a month before they opened up... Now they are growing like crazy....

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have seen others post this and have people tell them that they should never close and if they do there is something wrong.

I have 3 different varieties of star polyps in all three of my tanks of these including the green ones and all of them have closed up at one time or another, some time for a couple of days.

1 person likes this.
  10. Yuri Kapustin

I think it was the temp fluctuation. The timer i have for my fans go unplugged and the temp right now is still in the 81-82 range. I had the tank at exactly 77 before all this happened. Also i got the coral beauty in the tank early last week and he may have pissed off the polyps.
    Thanks guys.
    The polyps were also in a kinda high current area so i moved them to a lower current area.

BTW, anyone know what type of current they have used for their feather dusters?

11. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

My feather duster in in low flow area and is very happy!

1 person likes this.
  12. Yuri Kapustin

Thank you.