Green Star Polyps going brown

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by gkw, Apr 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

it is probably just a reaction to the light. My BTA was green when I got it, now it is mostly brown. I would give them a few weeks and see what happens. Most corals tank that long to get full aclamated to a new tank, and new lighting. Ive seen both brown and green in frag tanks before, almost bought some this weekend. I would only worry if they stop opening, or start turning white and melt. I agree with CR too, your gonna need more light.

2. Click Here!

3. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    like mine. it was since i added the t-5's ... i dont know why it happened, you think it might be to much light?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

CR's post was towards GKW, the person that started the thread. I would think that no deeper then a 55 gal is that my PC should do the job but I may be wrong.:-/

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

GKW's signiture says that they have 110watts PC, 70watts NO, that is like 100 watts less than you have over your 55. GKW has a 125, witch is around 20 inches deep right?? I know star polyps dont demand to much light so they should be good, but it mite be why they turned brown. Bright corals turn brown under less intence lighting, right??

6. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    i believe your right... i have had my ricos turn brown in another tank but once they hit the right light they are good.