Green Star polyp

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by hannanReef, Mar 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

O.k. I went into your profile and see the tank is only 4 mos. old after the conversion. It is undoubtedly still cycling and re-settling. The tank needs to "season" awhile. Where are the GSP as far as location? Mine are way up in the tank and get a lot of flow and they are growing (as some say) like weeds. Post a pic. Also, you need to know what someone else mentioned; Calcium, Alkalinity, SG, and Magnesium levels.

2. Click Here!

3. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Thanks for pointing this out, i know he has 4 bulbs but 2 are actinic, which it seems are good for AIDING photosynthesis, even so i still think this is not enough light for a 100gallon, unless you plan on keeping just fish and soft corals, would lps/sps corals not do better under stronger lighting.might want some one day...

If you have 36" bulbs in a 72" canopy, and the tank is as long as the canopy then surely this is not enough light, can you post a pic?

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

ok i think 36 inches are 39 watts
    so that 156 watts total.

right now you have 1.56 wpg
    i would recommend you atleast double this number since 4 wpg is the standard reef lighting.

if you cannot double this soon, i would suggest moving 2 lights so all 4 are on one side of the tank, and move you corals over to that side to hold you over until you can get the more lights

edit: yall got side tracked with the actinics thing and missed that he only had 1.5 wpg, common guys keep you head in the game lol.
    especially you mission, i expected better from the karma king :)

5. Stingray

Well said, that's what i was trying to say lol...

6. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

Also, what about water movement? Shouldn't we be asking how many GPH hes pushing?

7. hannanReef

hannanReef Astrea Snail

thanks

Well I thought that might be the answer. If I just start by adding one more ballast this month and maybe another next month, what kind of bulbs should I put in first? More daylight, or more acitinic?

Here are pics just so you can see what I am dealing with.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

More, daylight try to have double as many whites as you have actinic, so maybe 4xwhites 2 actinic, and i would move them down a bit if you can?
    Does your tank look quite dark lit up with them up there, can you posta tank shot with the lights on?

10. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

Rather than post a new thread for answers to my situation, I'm adding it to this one...so, the following was a gift...it's the 1st of its kind that I've ever had, its been in my tank about a week now, and the polyps have never opened. I've seen 1 or 2 start to, but then my velvet damsel got nosey & scared 'em closed again. I'm not sure if you can tell in this pic, but there are some spots that look like it has "cob webs" so to speak, this can't be good, right? I've also noticed since I've introduced this into my tank, that there are a ton of little tiny white snails (I think?) all over, however, some are bigger than others, so I don't know if they were hitch hikers, or already in my tank. I'm going to try the brushing under a power head thing for sure so I can get those buggers off, but I think my lighting is sufficient...any other thoughts as to why they're acting so shy? My params are all in order, however, I too don't have a Calcium, and Magnesium testing kit.
    [​IMG]

11. purpletang

purpletang Bristle Worm

My polyps wouldn't open and then i moved them down in my tank and they opened right up. Just a thought

12. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

...yeah, I thought that too...but I thought they would like the light...maybe not so much? I'll try it, thanks.