Green & Red Open brain dying

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Fastlife, Dec 18, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Hello there 3reef, I am having a problem with my Green & my Red open brain. They seem to be dying. They have not opend up i 2 days and i can kind of see their skeleton. They still have the colors showing, but they are not opening up. I checked all water parameters( ph, amonia, nitrite , nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity) They all are fine. Has this happend to someone before? Are they goners?What can i do? Please HELP..... Danny

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

how are your other levels? iodide(iodine) and such, also have you been feeding them? they need more than just light i usually try to feed mine frozen cubes of stuff...um well i am not sure how far they have deteriorated...maybe try feeding them or...if the supp levels r down get those up...sorry to hear about this hope it works out.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Well i dont have a iodide test kit. All other corals are doing fine. I tryed feeding them in the past , but they just never seemed to be intrested in the food. I do at night feed Cyclops ezz, dont know if they feed on that. I also feed at night the kent supp zooplex. They have been in the tank for at least 1 month now. I just dont know how all else in tank is fine and they both are not doing good. This has me frustrated already............i will keep posted. And thank you Bruce. Danny

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Interesting

How long did you have these corals before they started to show signs of tissue loss?

6. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Have you done a water change lately? I killed one a long time ago by pooring The new water on to it

7. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

I had one once. I got rid of it because it started to deteriorate and it was hard to feed. I made a feeding cap for it and would put brineshrimp or other meats in the cap so the other fish wouldnt steal the food. If you have a clear plastic bowl of some sort. Cut some small holes in it and a couple bigger holes so a tip of a turkey baster can fit in. Just blow some food in and see if it will eat.

8. Click Here!

9. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Check the coral at night when the tank lights are off to see if it is extending it's tentacles. If so, try to target feed some cyclop-eeze and it should eat it quite readily. I got my red/green open brain about 1.5 years ago and it was knocking at deaths door. Today, it's a lovely coral, but still has "mood swings" from time to time. Another thing to check...how is your water temperature? I've noticed when my temps get too high, the brain looks quite unhappy

10. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Bruce, i had them for at least a month.

kb bear, yes i have done a water change, but its as i have done it since i started this hobby. All new water goes into sump.

blue eyes, will try that at next feeding.

GraviT, i did notice time to time that the tenticles on the green & red brain did extend but they are very small. My temp is at a constant temp. of 79.5 to 80.5 . Also i did notice last night that the green brain did puff up a little bit, but not all the way. Thank you all for the replys, Danny

11. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Small tentacles are completely normal and is how these corals hold on to the food you give it. I almost guarantee that with some feeding, especially with a nutrient rich food source such as Cyclop-eeze, they should look better in no time.

12. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

I will try that tonight, i just have to find a plastic container that will fit over the coral.